Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Re: Old B&O passenger car that was cut up.

Date: 07/24/14 08:09
Re: Old B&O passenger car that was cut up.
Author: ClubCar

On July 16th K3www gave the report on here about the former B&O club car #3303 being cut up on the spot up in Hyndman, Pennsylvania. MGoldman and others commented about this car. My question now is does anyone know why this car was destroyed? The car had been saved by a retired B&O employee, a Mr. Tom Cunningham and the property where the car was displayed belongs to a Mr. Donald Stewart. Mr. Stewart owns the two retired Chessie System cabooses there, one of which has the camera on it that shows the CSX trains moving on Sand Patch. I have tried to locate more information as to why this car did not go to the West Virginia R.R. Museum in Elkins, W.V. but to no avail. Supposedly the car was either donated or purchased by the museum. Does anyone know anything else about this?

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/24/14 08:45
Author: BaltoJoey

Maybe the museum came and inspected it and felt
that it was too dilapidated and not cost effective
to restore.

Date: 07/24/14 08:50
Author: hoydie17

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On July 16th K3www gave the report on here about
> the former B&O club car #3303 being cut up on the
> spot up in Hyndman, Pennsylvania. MGoldman and
> others commented about this car. My question now
> is does anyone know why this car was destroyed?
> The car had been saved by a retired B&O employee,
> a Mr. Tom Cunningham and the property where the
> car was displayed belongs to a Mr. Donald Stewart.
> Mr. Stewart owns the two retired Chessie System
> cabooses there, one of which has the camera on it
> that shows the CSX trains moving on Sand Patch. I
> have tried to locate more information as to why
> this car did not go to the West Virginia R.R.
> Museum in Elkins, W.V. but to no avail.
> Supposedly the car was either donated or purchased
> by the museum. Does anyone know anything else
> about this?
>
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Mr. Stewart does NOT own the two cabooses in Hyndman and has not for several years.

As for the B&O car, my understanding was that the original owner passed away a several years ago. The family tried to sell it and get it removed but could find anyone that was willing to pay to have the badly decaying car stabilized enough for a move.

I was not aware that it had been chopped up, but frankly, it was well past due. Having been inside the car, it was well beyond a reasonable point of restoration. It would have been cheaper to just build a replica of the car from scratch than it would have been to restore/refurbish that one.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds