Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rough looking E8's in Akron

Date: 07/24/14 10:12
Rough looking E8's in Akron
Author: erie833

Four E8 units and 4 passenger cars (ex Ringling?) were on the WE/CVSR interchange in Akron, Ohio this morning. Lighting was tough and they were surrounded by a lot of trees so I did what I could. Got lucky with the best of the bunch head out :)
These are the Fab 4 that have resided in the OhiRail yard in Minerva for a long time. With CTVX reporting marks on them I believe the destination is the old B&O Clark Ave roundhouse down by the steel mill in Cleveland, corrections welcome. I can't remember the last time I saw an E unit in Akron let alone 4 of them lol

The line of "used equipment" on the interchange track.

Former MARC unit.

Nose to nose.

As info:
60 is former NJT 4327, ex IC 4023
61 is former NJT 4325, exx NJDOT 4253, exxx PRR 5793A
62 is former NJT 4324 exx PRR 5905
4258 is former IC 4033. Was to be MARC 63 but never renumbered.
Some info from "The Diesel Shop".

Date: 07/24/14 10:15
Re: Rough looking E8's in Akron

Just some nose fun.

Must be junk unit day in Akron...Q353 had this LETX now CBR GP-30 as part of a UP/KCS/UP/CBR set...with a cloud kill :(

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 10:22

Yes, I said rough...but with a future :)

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 10:48
Author: nkpsteam779

Yes this units and passenger cars are heading to the West 3rd Street Roundhouse in Cleveland.

Date: 07/24/14 11:25
Author: RAILWATCH

Love these. Can't wait to see them up here by me.

My guess is they'd connect to CVSR and head north pulled by CSX around Rockside. I've always wanted to see a train pass by my work (Brooklyn Heights area), up past Granger Rd, then beneath the short line CSX trestle.

Any updates on that move would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing!

- Denny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/14 11:28 by RAILWATCH.

Date: 07/24/14 13:00

Here are a few views of the passenger cars, two of which saw service for Ringling Bros. Little remains of the circus logos.

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 13:10

If you look close you can make out the "United States Mail" and "Storage Car" lettering on this former UP car.

A little higher saturation and contrast on one of the doors. These old cars make great "detail" subjects.

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 13:28
Author: Chooch

This is kinda a common thing everyday. All these pictures show equipment that really should be completely redone but sadly I am afraid the workman's cutting torch will rule these wonderful history items. If nothing else, the E8's alone deserve another life. There must be someone someplace who can give these locomotives another chance.

Jim

Date: 07/24/14 13:29
Author: ClubCar

These passenger cars need a lot of work for sure.

Date: 07/24/14 14:14
Author: SD45X

Great Catch!! Might have to come visit this year:)

Date: 07/24/14 15:58
Author: BuddPullman

I am not sure but the corrugated ex Pullman looks like a former New Haven 6-4-6. The two small windows at the B end look like the two dressing room/toilets on that side of the car. The OSH trucks and clasp brakes are very New Haven.

Date: 07/24/14 16:44

Chooch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If nothing else, the E8's alone deserve another life. There must be someone
> someplace who can give these locomotives another
> chance.
> Jim

I'm sure at least one of them will run in the future, maybe two. None of these have ran in years that I know of other than #60 which ran for MARC. I'm not sure how much floor space Midwest has available, and my guess is it will be a slow go. Alan says they are eventually going to the CVSR, but that sounds strange considering they have plans to rebuild current units with "green" engines and these double engine units certainly won't be "green" if rebuilt in kind. Maybe the plan is to make them green though, which could make the CVSR even more interesting in a couple of years. I'm also curious how these long 6 axles will be on track over the long run. The CVSR has been all 4 axle except for a smaller RSD5 (C&NW private owner, now off the property) and the two steam engines that have polished those rails.
As for the cars, they are very rough but I've seen worse come out looking and running like new, so let's hope.

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 17:11

BuddPullman Wrote:
> I am not sure but the corrugated ex Pullman looks
> like a former New Haven 6-4-6. The two small
> windows at the B end look like the two dressing
> room/toilets on that side of the car. The OSH
> trucks and clasp brakes are very New Haven.

Thank you. You seem well versed in passenger equipment- is there a good online source of Ringling cars and their heritage?

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 17:31
Author: THE-CHIEF-WAY

Roger The black and white photo is my vote for IOTD! It's rockin! I love it! CB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/14 21:43 by THE-CHIEF-WAY.

Date: 07/24/14 19:01
Author: BuddPullman

Thanks.

Although not online, the Private Passenger Car Annual by RPC Productions published in 1980, lists Ringling Brothers Car 243 as ex NYNH&H "Monument Beach" 6-6-4 built by PS January 1955. Possibly that could be the same car?

Date: 07/24/14 19:09

BuddPullman Wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Although not online, the Private Passenger Car
> Annual by RPC Productions published in 1980, lists
> Ringling Brothers Car 243 as ex NYNH&H "Monument
> Beach" 6-6-4 built by PS January 1955. Possibly
> that could be the same car?

Thanks. If they are still there in the morning I will do a detail study on it and see what we can find that might give a clue :)

RAD

Date: 07/24/14 19:22

...ha, forgot to add the "classic" nose on photo. Needs a nose logo of some sort....

RAD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds