Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Grandpa, can we go watch the trains?"

Date: 07/27/14 17:02
"Grandpa, can we go watch the trains?"
Author: bob01566

What it's all about...
No Heritage units, no F's, no steam - just one of the best railfanning moments ever!
Palmer, MA - 7/25/2014 - 598C7459dK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/14 17:03 by bob01566.

Date: 07/27/14 17:07
Re: "Grandpa, can we go watch the trains?"
Author: Necer149

I love it when someone posts a picture like that on here. It almost makes me tear up a bit, thanks for sharing.

Mark

Date: 07/27/14 17:09
Author: wmbrakeman

what a great moment caught with your Lense , if you know them you should give him a copy of that picture
i am sure both would treasure it
palmer a neat place been there twice

Date: 07/27/14 18:07
Author: fqo63

Could be you or me.....

Date: 07/27/14 18:09
Author: Benched_it

This is great, very nice!

Jay

Date: 07/27/14 19:07
Author: oldSALrailfan

Great photo...takes me back a few decades walking with my grandpa along the tracks! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/27/14 19:16
Author: dwi189

Reminds me of an incident in Altoona, PA a couple of months ago....A fellow and his Grandson were sitting on one of the benches beneath the covered pedestrian bridge by the Station Mall...They were out watching trains for the sake of watching trains although I believe the grandson might have had a camera.

I was headed on foot over to the open air pedestrian bridge to catch an Eastbound oil train with the Penn-Central Heritage unit leading.

They were not carrying a scanner, so I told the Grandfather that the Penn-Central oil train was about 20 minutes out.

After I had shot the train and walked back toward the car, I asked them if they had caught the Penn-Central unit.....The Grandfather got a kick out of seeing the Penn-Central unit as it reminded him of the days that Penn-Central power ran through Altoona all the time.....Dave W.

Date: 07/27/14 19:39
Author: agrafton

Very nice, I had my grandson trackside yesterday now I know how it must have looked to others, and
yes memories were made for both of us.
Alan

Date: 07/27/14 20:01
Author: wa4umr

Reminds me of my childhood. As a 4 or 5 year old I would walk the half block to my grandfather's place. That was when you, as a child, could walk down a city street and people didn't worry about you. He would take me about two block to a loading dock where we could sit in the shade and watch the L&N freights go by. I remember the time we were sitting there and two trains arrived at the same time, going in opposite directions and passed each other. I was too young to know too much about them but I do remember that they were steam. That was probably around 1953 or maybe 1954.

I have my own grandson now. He's 6 and whenever I can go past a track I make the effort to show him the trains. He knows what most of the cars are.

John

Date: 07/28/14 06:47
Author: bluesboyst

Is that Palmer, MA? Nice pic..

Date: 07/28/14 06:51
Author: bob01566

Thanks guys, your comments are very much appreciated.
I'm not usually one to respond to sentimentality but this just struck a chord.
Guess I'm not the only one...
Bob

Date: 07/28/14 07:04
Author: dwi189

bluesboyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that Palmer, MA? Nice pic..

Palmer according to the original post.....Dave W

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds