Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS 8099 (Southern) through Pittsburgh this evening

Date: 08/01/14 17:11
NS 8099 (Southern) through Pittsburgh this evening
Author: RuleG

I've seen 8099 pass through Pittsburgh a couple of times before, but was not in a position to get a good photo. Thanks to Heritageunits.com, I was able to catch 8099 on 65V passing through Pittsburgh's Shadyside neighborhood around 7:25 this evening.

Date: 08/01/14 17:16
Re: NS 8099 (Southern) through Pittsburgh this evening
Author: toledopatch

Were there formerly more tracks where the road is in that shot?

Date: 08/01/14 17:26
Author: DJ-12

Nice shot Dave.

Tpatch, the Road is the PAT busway, which runs along he railroad from downtown out to Wilkinsburg. I'm almost certain the PRR was 4 tracks through here at one time. This portion didn't see much freight "back in the day" but I was the main route east from Pittsburgh for all the Pennsy's varnish and commuter trains. It was likely 4 tracks out the flying junction with the Brilliant Brach at Homewood, where many of the commuter made a left turn to head down the branch to connections with the ÀVR and the Conemaugh.

Date: 08/01/14 18:02
Author: RuleG

Thanks, Mike.

Mike & Dave:

The following is a link to a wonderful photo from the Frank B. Fairbanks Rail Transportation Archive housed by the
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. It shows the PRR 4-track line with an eastbound local at the Shadyside Station. The PRR had stations serving individual City of Pittsburgh neighborhoods as well as many of the suburbs. Service to all of these stations ended 50 years ago when the PRR discontinued all commuter rail services in the Pittsburgh area.

My photo was taken from a point on a bridge just beyond the building with the stack looking towards the east. That building is still standing.

http://images.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/i/image/image-idx?rgn1=ic_all;op2=And;rgn2=ic_all;med=1;q1=shadyside;q2=hpicphlf;size=20;c=hpicphlf;back=back1406941384;subview=detail;resnum=2;view=entry;lastview=thumbnail;cc=hpicphlf;entryid=x-prr-1073-01-18;viewid=0089.TIF

PS: The abundant vegetation in both my photo and Frank Fairbanks' photo explains, in part, how "Shadyside" was named.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/14 18:39 by RuleG.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds