Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A few from Summerail weekend

Date: 08/10/14 19:49
A few from Summerail weekend
Author: erie833

Didn't really set out to do much photography-wise this past weekend in Cincinnati but did manage a few photos. As most of the day was spent at CUT and the CRHS table, I had to work with the very early or very late light conditions. One of the more interesting grabs was a set of the new CSX GP-38-3 rebuilds, the 2001-2002-2003. Several of us were out on the back porch of our hotel the night before and witnessed them rolling east above us under the cover of darkness. I was up early this morning taking some sunrise photos from the bridge over the Ohio River when they started over the railroad bridge towards Queensgate yard. Essentially just a grab shot, I elected to keep the "X marks the dash 3 spot" traffic sign in this photo, who knows why. The evening before a road mate set paused on the bridge in the fading blue hour light. As seen from the 9th floor of the hotel, a CSX unit just fit between the long late day shadows with the Ohio River in the background.

RAD

Date: 08/10/14 19:55
Re: A few from Summerail weekend

Two views out the hotel window. With the ISO in the stratosphere this night scene was attempted. The next morning saw a pretty sunrise. Couldn't beg a northbound/eastbound at this spot so had to settle for a going away shot from the 9th floor window.

RAD

Date: 08/10/14 19:57

They also had a 40's weekend at CUT with many folks dressed up in period garb, 3 examples shown here.

RAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/14 20:11 by erie833.

Date: 08/10/14 20:08
Author: cutboy2

Nice. Thanks for coming.

Date: 08/11/14 06:20
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch.
JB

Date: 08/11/14 08:11
Author: bluesboyst

Enjoyed it...

Thanks,

Steve

Date: 08/11/14 09:15
Author: Kearnsrh

Can you share with us the name of the hotel and what room, incase
we ever get to Cincinnati? Thanks

Date: 08/11/14 09:24
Author: bandob

Would I be correct in guessing the hotel is the Courtyard Cincinnati in Covington, KY?

B&OB

Date: 08/11/14 09:58
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for the photos as I was busy manning my table. A retired railroader friend came along with cameras but as you would know it he didn't take any pictures of the young folks dressed in 1040's attire. They looked great! I'm glad you got someone in their uniform too! Marsha could not make it, but she'll love to see the photos you took of those people. Larry took some photos of the station and murals and she'll like that too, as she is a big fan of Art Deco design. I only sold 7 books but had a great time. Next time they'll have to put me in the main room, or I'm not coming.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/14 09:59 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/11/14 10:03

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would I be correct in guessing the hotel is the
> Courtyard Cincinnati in Covington, KY?

That is correct :)
RAD

Date: 08/11/14 12:13
Author: chico

erie833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bandob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Would I be correct in guessing the hotel is the
> > Courtyard Cincinnati in Covington, KY?
>
> That is correct :)
> RAD

Tell them you want the rail fan view rooms, floors 7 and higher, east wing. Your only decision will be north view towards the bridge bad downtown Cincy, or south toward KY. Both directions are good depends on your preference, etc. if you do south one year, flip the next. Each room has an outdoor balcony too, if you don't mind humidity. Fast food joints abound.

A little pricey, but hey you only live once and no trip to Summerrail would be complete without trying it.

Date: 08/11/14 17:28
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing. I like Pic 3!!!

Date: 08/12/14 15:35
Author: onthebell

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Strange, I was there and I only remember seeing the sun late in the evening once on a break from the show.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds