Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Idiot Foamers

Date: 07/04/02 06:12
Idiot Foamers
Author: NORAC

Yesterday morning our train left South Philly for Oak Island. About 1500 east of CP Gray three trespassers were sitting on the rails of number one track. We passed them on number two track they took a picture of us as we went by then about 15 cars pass where they were they climbed aboard our train. After talking with the yardmaster and dispatcher the decision was made to give them a ride to Belmont where the police would be waiting for them.....but they got off on the high line and were spotted by a following NS train departing the property around the Drexel area.

I would hope they are not any of the regulars on this site.

Date: 07/04/02 06:31
Re: Idiot Foamers
Author: wra3

I was tickled to see the term foamers. I have never seen it outside of a small group of us who graduated from college together in Virginia. I can only credit it tac to member throbbingunits.
As for the foamers perhaps another word would be appropriate for that bunch.

Date: 07/04/02 06:41
Author: BentnoseWillie

Idiots is right.

As for "foamers" - I've been hearing that one since long before the internet was popular, and I'm in Nova Scotia!

I think it's a pretty much universal term used by railroaders for railfans. FTN is also popular around here. Both are usually tongue in cheek.

Standing back and knowing my place, I remain:
B-Dubya

Date: 07/04/02 07:03
Author: chessie-2117

Given the rash of injuries and deaths in the Philadelphia area recently, I'm at a loss to explain these actions. Idiot is a polite description for these three. And to jump off on the High-Line? Sounds as though these fools have a death wish!

John R
http://www.trainweb.org/phllocal

Date: 07/04/02 08:03
Author: dougdunha

Group-inclusive labels detract from a legitimate thesis. They illuminate the "dark".

Doug Dunham
Alto, GA

Date: 07/04/02 08:26
EXCELLENT POST, DOUG Re: Idiot Foamers
Author: Inlinebob

Right on, Doug!

dougdunha wrote:

> Group-inclusive labels detract from a legitimate thesis.
> They illuminate the "dark".
>
> Doug Dunham
> Alto, GA
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 07/04/02 08:28
Author: wabash2800

Railfans or "foamers" hopping aboard a freight? Even ones that are guilty of trespassing know better than that. In all my years of railfanning (over 30)I've never seen it or heard of it short of one fellow that stood on top of a standing freight car to get pictures. However, I've seen plenty of kids do it as well as hobos or transients. Maybe these were just folks that wanted to photograph their fool hardy adventure?
Books like the one recently posted on this list glamorizing life as a Hobo don't help the situation.

Date: 07/04/02 09:19
Author: BentnoseWillie

Foamers riding freight cars?

Four words: Combat Railfans Of Arizona.

Idiots personified...

Date: 07/04/02 09:31
Author: ajt

Gotta echo some of the comments above; in 25+ years of railroad photography, literally tens-of-thousands of trains passing by my camera lens, I have never witnessed a rail photographer hopping a train.

I don't doubt these jokers hopped; don't doubt they snapped a photo; but skeptical they are 'railfans' or part of our community. Remember, just cause I take a shot of the bride tossing the bouquet doesn't mean I'm the wedding photographer.

Too bad they were gone by the time the cops intercepted the train.

Date: 07/04/02 12:21
Re: EXCELLENT POST, DOUG Re: Idiot Foamers
Author: NORAC

They didn't seem like your ordinary trespasser's since they had camera's and took pictures.

I didn't notice if they had scanners, and it was too hot for them to wear their vest loaded with fallen flags patches. I also didn't notice if they had any Yoohoo's and Moonpies for snacks...so it must have just been a coincidence.

Date: 07/04/02 14:05
Author: el03440

NORAC wrote:

>
>
>
> They didn't seem like your ordinary trespasser's since they
> had camera's and took pictures.
>
> I didn't notice if they had scanners, and it was too hot for
> them to wear their vest loaded with fallen flags patches. I
> also didn't notice if they had any Yoohoo's and Moonpies for
> snacks...so it must have just been a coincidence.
>
> [%sig%]

Gee, I am a former (retired) railroad employee and a fan. I carry a camera and sometimes a scanner. Guess that makes me a foamer too?
Oh well, I could be in worse company! Now where's my beer?

John C. Durant

Date: 07/04/02 15:04
Foamers can most definitely be idiots!
Author: MEC407

If you think railfans don't do stupid stuff, think again!

I know a railfan from Massachusetts who frequently hops freight trains and trespasses on RR property... and he makes a point of telling everybody about it. He seems quite proud, actually.

As for the term "foamer," I hear it a lot here in Maine. "FRN" (f***ing rail nut) is also common.

Date: 07/04/02 17:45
Re: Foamers can most definitely be idiots!
Author: pizzaman

You were near Philly heading for Jersey. This kind of conduct doesn't surprise me a bit.

Date: 07/05/02 10:06
Were these foamers actaully foaming rails?
Author: roughrider

As in, some employees skilled in mounting and dismounting moving equipment?

Do we know for sure?

Date: 07/05/02 15:39
Re: Were these foamers actaully foaming rails?
Author: pizzaman

roughrider wrote:> As in, some employees skilled in mounting and dismounting> moving equipment? > > Do we know for sure?> > .........Maybe two of them like to shoot sunsets at refineries also.

Date: 05/31/08 22:37
Author: etihparg

I'm so sorry for you. As a member of the Combat Railfans, I have gotten to know some of the greatest people there are, who are truly the best friends I could ever hope for. I can only pray that some day you will experience this level of camaraderie.
Commando

Date: 06/02/08 17:03
Author: emd_run8

NORAC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
>
> They didn't seem like your ordinary trespasser's
> since they had camera's and took pictures.
>
We have young people with cameras doing stupid things just to document it. While this is a dangerous and unlawful act, much worse has been documented, just to see who can film the "worst", etc., act.
By the way, I know someone minus most of 2 legs for hopping a train just for fun, no camera involved.
Tommy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds