Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Your favorite CSX trainwatching spot is????

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/05/02 16:25
Your favorite CSX trainwatching spot is????
Author: pilotblue

Wanting to plan a fall trip and look at CSX somewhere. I'm in the DC area so I've seen the local hotspots, Doswell, Hyattsville, Cumberland and so on. Might travel 8 to 12 hours and stay a week or so. Got suggestions??? Fostoria may be on the short list but I'll take any advice. Thanks for all replies.

Date: 07/05/02 16:51
Re: Your favorite CSX trainwatching spot is????
Author: cs

Hamlet, NC in the fall. Too hot now...

Date: 07/05/02 17:47
Author: calsubd

Well , mine used to be callahan fla because its local to me, but if I have time to travel I'll take Folkston Ga. where this small Ga town has erected a covered shelter with ac outlets, fans and a scanner, just for the railfan !!!!regards ed

Date: 07/05/02 18:30
Author: ac4400cw

Fostoria, Ohio..Photos are not the best but more trains coming from all directions then you can keep track of.

Date: 07/05/02 18:30
Iona Island, MP 41 River Line NY
Author: NH2006

and the surrounding area like Bear Mountain State Park pier, Peekskill (Amtrak, Metro North, CP, CSX on the east shore). West Point is just north. Make reservations at the Bear Mountain lodge now, or try any of the local area hotels. See the remaining FL9s at Croton-Harmon. Train frequency ~15-20 in daylight on the west shore (River Line) many more on the east shore. Can see approx 30-40 trains from the pier, plus lots of boats, helicopters.

Date: 07/05/02 19:00
Author: cp4744

Try Ripley New York (its almost on the PA border) just past McDonalds there is a bridge on Bort Road over the CSX and the NS is 50ft away at grade, west of there is the town of NorthEast PA with a nice station now a musuem, and just a bit west is the GE plant at Erie.. there are some big bridges on the NS in this area...route 20 is the highway..

bob

Date: 07/05/02 19:06
Author: CR80MAC

I like Port Reading Junction in Manville, NJ maybe not the best place for CSX but you get NS too. It's CR ex Trenton Line (now CSX) and ex CR Lehigh Line (now NS) they come to a junction also right next to the junction is Manville Yard. Another spot is CP-5 in Ridgefield Park, NJ. It is nice with a bridge that goes over a river and the NYS&W engine facility is right next door.

CR80MAC

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewJerseyRailfan

Date: 07/05/02 19:27
Author: slw-appr-slw

One good answer: Deshler, OH.

Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
Railroads of NW Ohio
http://www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh

Date: 07/05/02 20:25
Author: pizzaman

If Diamonds are a railfans best friend, then a road trip is in order with the following stops. All CSX. Greenwich, Fostoria and dinner at trackside in Deshler. One straight line across the heart of Ohio. Subdivision after subdivision. You will feast on a buffet of trains along the way. And at the end of the line, pig out on DERF!!!!!!!

Date: 07/05/02 20:43
Author: cr3317

Benning, DC. You get to see half the 80MAC fleet sitting there and watch the north/south parade at the same time....amidst gunfire and morter shells making it all the more fun of course.

I would say my favorite place on CSX at night is Jessup, Md., on the Capital Sub. Nothing can beat the parade of constant eighth notch trains ripping by the yard at 50per all night long. Its incredible...

Scott H

Date: 07/05/02 20:58
Author: csx6574

A combination of Mountain Sub/Grafton and Grafton/Cowen Sub. Not as many trains as other ares but the BEST scenery by far, especially in the fall. Cowen Sub is especially nice.

Date: 07/05/02 21:06
Author: CJ

Anywhere from Akron,OH on the B&O and Berea,OH on the NYC west through Greenwich, Fosty, Deshler, Garret, and on towards Chicago. Lots of stuff to see.

Chris

Date: 07/06/02 04:42
Author: NORAC

From the right seat of the cab.

Date: 07/06/02 04:49
Re: CR80MAC

We have probably seen each other and not know it.
I always see folks sitting at the JCT in the their cars (Between the Trenton line and Lehigh line) or at Boundbrook.

The only "regular" that I see a lot is a middle aged guy with a camera.

Next time through if I see anyone listen for a couple short toots of the horn.

In fact I should be getting called today sometime.

Date: 07/06/02 06:18
Decatur, Alabama
Author: Bryan_

Lots of traffic plus the track by the depot is also used by NS. Easy access to highways, restaurants and stores. Nice open area next to the dpot can be used for parking and unobstructed photos.

North Alabama/Middle Tennessee Railfan List:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/decaturjunction

The Railfan Hootenanny:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DecaturRailfanHootenannyNews

Date: 07/06/02 09:24
Re: NORAC
Author: CR80MAC

NORAC. I don't own a car because I am only twelve. If you see a kid by the tracks at Bound Brook with a camera and a scanner it's probably me. If you run any train through Bound Brook on Friday or Saturday email me at Jericho2001@msn.com. Thanks.

CR80MAC

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewJerseyRailfan

Date: 07/06/02 11:42
Author: railman_7

Point of Rocks,MD a great place . Trains off the Capital Sub and Old Main Line meet there. CSX, Amtrak, and Marc provide plenty of action. Several great spots for shots, near the station and in the Canal Park near the tunnnel.

Date: 07/06/02 11:45
Author: railman_7

Point of Rocks,MD a great place . Trains off the Capital Sub and Old Main Line meet there. CSX, Amtrak, and Marc provide plenty of action. Several great spots for shots, near the station and in the Canal Park near the tunnnel.

Date: 07/06/02 12:39
Re: NORAC

Well I don't recall ever seeing you......then again I have been on a lot night runs lately.

Date: 07/06/02 13:42
Author: el03440

Have a couple....
1) Anywhere on the Patch.. Sand Patch that is.

2) Anywhere along the right of way between West Newton and Smithton. That's a hike in, but the scenery is excellent.

3) Ohio Pyle, Garrett, Confluence and Rockwood, not quite in that order.

4) The Philly Sub. and the Susquehanna River Bridge.

5) Station Square, Pittsburgh, PA.

6) Although not many trains, The Ohio River Sub.,
Emotional and family ties to that line.

John C. Durant

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0786 seconds