Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Former PRR Baltimore to Harrisburg Question

Date: 08/19/14 14:50
Former PRR Baltimore to Harrisburg Question
Author: CSXT_8437

Good Afternoon:

On a recent visit to York, Pa, I noticed a signal box on Pershing Ave (former Northern Central route) that read milepost 56.6 (from Baltimore). Where in Baltimore was milepost 0? Also, historically, was the distance from Baltimore counted just to Enola or all the way to Sodus Point, NY?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 08/19/14 15:28
Re: Former PRR Baltimore to Harrisburg Question
Author: DubyaM

Probably Northern Central Calvert Station between Calvert St. and Guilford Ave. in Baltimore near the present Baltimore Sun building.

Date: 08/19/14 15:33
Author: meixel

Mt. Clare station, in Baltimore, is the beginning of the old mainline. There is no milepost zero there. The commemorative "First Stone" was laid at mile 1.

Date: 08/19/14 17:29
Author: tp117

The Q and first answer are about PRR's Northern Central branch, and is correct. The second answer is about the B&O, probably also correct.

Date: 08/20/14 05:43
Author: resqjon

I would have thought milepost 0 would have been at B&P Jct. where the Northern Central came off of the main??? Anyway, those mileposts used to continue up what is now the NS Buffalo Line, but I'm not sure how far.

Jon

Date: 08/20/14 22:33
Author: Kemacprr

The north end of the Northern Central Railway was at Sunbury Pa. From there north the mileposts showed the mileage from Erie.
---------------- Ken

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds