Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A few from a seldom seen part of the NS Cleveland Line

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/21/14 19:49
A few from a seldom seen part of the NS Cleveland Line
Author: DJ-12

The Ohio guys on this board give pretty heavy duty coverage of the NS Cleveland Line from Alliance, OH and points west. This is mostly because West of the Alliance, the Cleveland Line picks up most of the Ft Wayne Line traffic going to and from Conway and points east. East of the diamond at Alliance, the Cleveland Line becomes a secondary main, used as a relief valve route down to Conway via Yellow Creek, which is also the connection to the River Line down to Mingo Jct. The River Line contributes traffic flowing in both directions to/from the Cleveland Line as it ties in via a wye at Yellow Creek. Since the trains are sporadic at best, this portion of the line seems fairly unnoticed by most fans, including yours truly, as before today I had only shot a few trains on the section west of Yellow Creek around Bayard and Salineville. Today I had a meeting in the Ohio Valley that put me through Mingo Jct just as a 614 (to PPL @York Haven, PA) coal train (I assume off the OC) was on the pull east from Mingo up the River Line. Since this train continues east on the Cleveland Line, I decided to get out ahead of the train and scout some locations, looking for spots that highlight ex PRR position light signals in particular. I checked out Yellow Creek first, and was rather bummed to find a newish color light installation there.
1. I moved on to nearby Wellsville and found a PL signal lined clear for eastbound movement on track 1, with a new signal protecting track 2. This section of the railroad between Yellow Creek and Rochester is all 2 track ABS signals set up for right hand current of traffic running.
2. The 614 showed up about 25 minutes later, rolling along the banks of the Ohio River at Wellsville.
3. The train was moving at a leisurely pace as they were going to get held for traffic ahead waiting to get into Conway, so I moved ahead of them to East Liverpool, OH, and drove along the tracks until I found what I was hoping for: a complete set of intact PL signals, a couple miles east of downtown. This shot would be well lit for morning eastbounds, but it worked for me today as the sun was behind a thick cloud bank when the train showed up.
A cursory drive along the route between here and Rochester revealed more intact PL block signals visible from the road that could likely be photographed with more scouting, so I will have to find some time to make a return before they all fall.

Thanks for looking!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 21:42 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 08/21/14 20:09
Re: A few from a seldom seen part of the NS Cleveland L
Author: resqjon

Nice little chase! And I don't ever remember seeing a photo along this portion of the Cleveland Line before.

Thanks for the coverage!

Jon

Date: 08/21/14 21:55
Author: africansteam

No.2 is a winner!

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 21:55 by africansteam.

Date: 08/21/14 22:25
Author: JGFuller

Any available info on what are the "line" designations for NS and CSX?

Date: 08/21/14 22:42
Author: coach

I like how NS is using the newer signals with the bigger backing plates. Wish the other RR's would do the same.

Date: 08/22/14 05:58
Author: wabash2800

No. 2 would have been a great place for a railroad publicity photo back in the old days!

Date: 08/22/14 06:29
Author: ep75

Another secret uncovered, use to be quiet in this neck of the woods. We'll the east end of East Liverpool was when WTI protesters weren't around. lol

Posted from Android

Date: 08/22/14 06:56

JGFuller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any available info on what are the "line"
> designations for NS and CSX?

JG, I'm not sure what you mean. In the former Conrail territory, the "line" term was/is the nomenclature for designating a specific piece of railroad. Other railroads in the east use different designators...for instance in my area former Chessie territory was referred to as "subdivisions" and N&W used "districts". The Conrail way was pretty unique as there was a whole tiered system of designators based on relative importance (I don't know what the official determining factor was between a Branch and a Secondary):
Line = Main Line ~ example: Pittsburgh Line, Ft Wayne Line
Branch = Usually a heavy duty branch line ~ the Port Perry Branch, Waynesburg Southern Branch
Secondary = Usually an unsignaled branch line ~ South Fork Secondary, Ellsworth Secondary, Koppel Secondary
Running Track = usually an industrial oriented, slow speed track ~ The Omal Runner
Industrial Track = usually a short track leading to a customer ~ The Blairsville Industrial Track

Maybe someone with more knowledge can fill in how the designations were applied.

Date: 08/22/14 08:18

ep75 Wrote:
> Another secret uncovered, use to be quiet in this
> neck of the woods. We'll the east end of East
> Liverpool was when WTI protesters weren't around.
> lol
>
> Posted from Android

EP, How many trains per day do you think are running on the Cleveland Line between Alliance and Conway? I kind of figure a daily road local (C21/C22) in each direction Mingo to Conway plus the periodic coal moves, a handful of eastbound freights between Alliance and Conway, Follansbee coke trains and Sammis coal trains several times per week between Alliance and Mingo, the 60M/61M slabs to Midland, and the Midland based local...does that sound about right?

Date: 08/22/14 09:26
Author: Lakota-rail

In photo two is that a park area or private residence, noticed the American Flag, a nice touch on a nice photo. Wellsville was the original termination point of the C&P when constructed in 1852, Pennsylvania later approved construction of the final portion from Wellsville to Rochester. Nice shots, thanks!!!

Date: 08/22/14 09:33
Author: bluesboyst

Nice Mike.....One of my favorite areas!!!!!!

Date: 08/22/14 09:40
Author: NSClevelandLine

AKA The Bayard Line...

Posted from Android

Date: 08/22/14 09:42
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

The following trains run the Cleveland Line: 414,415,416,417. Locals out of Canton Yard (symbols I am not familiar with) and you get the occasional 14N, at times ethanol/oil trains to run down that way as well. IF anyone else can contribute please do.

Date: 08/22/14 11:17
Author: jmbreitigan

Congratulations on IOTD.

Date: 08/22/14 11:45
Author: JGFuller

PghMike - what I was seeking was what territories constitute the various "Lines".

Are those Lines designated in the Timetable, as would a Subdivision or District on other roads?

Date: 08/22/14 12:14

JGFuller Wrote:
> PghMike - what I was seeking was what territories
> constitute the various "Lines".
>
> Are those Lines designated in the Timetable, as
> would a Subdivision or District on other roads?

Correct. The NS timetable designates Lines, Branches, and Secondary tracks in the former Conrail territory.

Date: 08/22/14 13:01

Lakota-rail Wrote:
> In photo two is that a park area or private
> residence, noticed the American Flag, a nice touch
> on a nice photo. Wellsville was the original
> termination point of the C&P when constructed in
> 1852, Pennsylvania later approved construction of
> the final portion from Wellsville to Rochester.
> Nice shots, thanks!!!

Thanks all. Lakota: The shot was taken along Riverside Ave in Wellsville. This is basically a residential street that has a sidewalk and periodic benches etc on the bank between the road and the railroad. The street would be just the other side of the bushes at far right. I can't remember what the flag as was attached to.

Date: 08/22/14 14:45
Author: tp117

Yes, thanks for the photos.I've seen parts of it. I would think Alliance to Rochester via this Cleveland Line would be the preferred route for loaded oil and ethanol trains, especially if a speed lower than 50 mph is mandated for them. In the Conrail days the maximum freight speed Alliance to Rochester was 40mph, and at that time I do believe all crews were required to be qualified on both routes. I don't knoe how NS handles it now.

As for the reference as to how Conrail decided which routes were (Main) Lines, Branches and Secondary tracks, I cannot give a definitive answer to that even tho my entire RR career was with PC and CR. The men that made those decisions may be gone now. I have the last CR TT's of Jan 1999 all in one Conrail binder. To try to answer this I thought 'Branch' means the route has signals, but the Montreal Branch has none. Then I thought it has to do with maximum freight speed, that 'Secondaries' were 30mph and branches higher. But that is not right either. On the Indianapolis Division the Scottslawn Seconday from Buckeye yard to Ridgeway has a freight train max of 50mph. This was the busiest line in Conrail days without signals. So I cannot really answer the Q of how CR determined a Line vs. a Branch vs. a Secondary, alto your general synopsis Mike sounds right. I'd like to know too!

Date: 08/22/14 14:53
Author: Gateway97

Great photo story and congrats for IOTD! I have been there and taken signal pics but haven't stayed long enough to catch a train.

Date: 08/22/14 16:24
Author: ns1000

NICE pics!!! Thanks for sharing.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0734 seconds