Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 80Macs, Heritage, Amtrak & signals on the NS PITT line

Date: 08/24/14 17:49
80Macs, Heritage, Amtrak & signals on the NS PITT line
Author: EMBell

Here is the final installment of images from our roadtrip to Pennsylvania last month...After spending the beginning of the trip shooting Rockville Bridge, Amtrak electrics and steam at Strasburg, we ended up with a Two day stretch of awesome weather and power on the famous "West Slope" on the NS Pittsburgh Line.

My goal for this part of the trip was to shoot as many of the NS SD80Macs as we could find (and we got about half the fleet in Two days) plus the remaining PRR signals and Amtrak, and that goal was met along with a bunch of other goodies.

We arrived in Cresson, PA around Noon on Friday July 25th and spent the rest of that day and Saturday the 26th from daylight to dark trackside, and by the time it was over we had shot Amtrak, a little NS heritage, F units, a UP DD40X, PL signals and more SD60E helpers than a person could want. The long 10 hour drive home that Saturday night (after being up and going for over 12 hours before we even hit the road) was not that bad knowing we had memory cards full of the good stuff!

Here are a few of the highlights, and be sure to check out the entire set (almost 60 new images) at this link...lots of good stuff! >>>>>>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nspitt14

#1 The first thing we did once we got to Cresson that Friday (after driving from Harrisburg) was to stop at Vitos for lunch...if you have ever eaten there, then you know why that is a priority. Gage didnt seem to be in the mood for a sit down lunch, as this part of the trip is what he had been waiting for....but I DO have priorities! I enjoyed my Chicken Parmigiana sub (slowly) as several trains rolled by the front door...Gage was getting nervous...I told him to relax, it was high sun and there would be more trains. When a Trio of SD80Macs rolled by outside he became totally unglued....We eased on to Cassandra (and after a lengthy wait) shot our first train..those same 80macs...

#2 Amtrak B32-8WH. #513 (still looking good in a older paint scheme) leads train #42 The Eastbound Pennsylvanian under the PRR position light signals at Lilly, Pa. The train is making quick work of the famous West Slope, and will soon be sliding down the other side of the mountain and on to Philadelphia.

#3 "Big Ugly & Rusty " MOTX 6944, a UP DD40X belonging to the Museum of Transport in St. Louis, sits outside the shop at Altoona waiting for a turn in the paint shop. NS will be cosmetically restoring this unit as part of a trade agreement to bring a N&W Y6 back to Roanoke.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/14 17:49 by EMBell.

Date: 08/24/14 17:55
Re: 80Macs, Heritage, Amtrak & signals on the NS PITT l
Author: EMBell

#4 "20, 000 HP Bookends" A freshly loaded coal train off the Portage Branch eases down the mountain with a pair of SD80macs on top and bottom, seen here passing under the Pennsy signal bridge at Summerhill, Pa. The train is running against the current of traffic on #3 track as the dispatcher keeps them out of the way of Amtrak and a Westbound Intermodal.

#5 "Small Town Friday Night" Amtrak 513 leads the Westbound Pennsylvanian under the PRR signals at Summerhill, Pa on a hot July evening. This little town reminded me of a lot of places on the CNO&TP were the train traffic outnumbers the road traffic... We spent about 3 hours here and saw 10 pr 12 moves in that time..

#6 ERIE 1068 leads a empty unit oil train up the mountain and out of the tunnel at Gallitzin, PA Saturday afternoon. This was one of the last trains we shot on the trip...not a bad way to hang it up!

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 08/24/14 18:00
Author: JayK

Nice stuff, as usual, Mr. Bell.

Date: 08/24/14 19:57
Author: Milwaukee

i hadn't noticed the front pilot damage on the UP 6944. When did that happen/how did that happen? Anyone know if NS will fix that as well as repaint the unit? It sure looks like this deal was concluded just in time as the 6944 is really in bad shape and they hopefully have some covered area just waiting for it when it returns to the museum.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Date: 08/24/14 22:41
Author: JS_IN_KY

Milwaukee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i hadn't noticed the front pilot damage on the UP
> 6944. When did that happen/how did that happen?
> Anyone know if NS will fix that as well as repaint
> the unit? It sure looks like this deal was
> concluded just in time as the 6944 is really in
> bad shape and they hopefully have some covered
> area just waiting for it when it returns to the
> museum.
>
> Thanks for sharing your photos.

A couple of months ago the director at the Missouri Museum of Trans. told me that upon 6944's return to the museum it will be going right back outside. Unfortunately they have no space under the cover for it.
John

Date: 08/25/14 15:31
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!!! Thanks for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0786 seconds