Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > For engineers only

Date: 07/16/02 20:21
For engineers only
Author: wheel

A letter sent to one of the train mags. by an engineer, he said that the newer G.E. deisels are far quiter than G.M. units..
True or false?? If so why??

Date: 07/16/02 23:22
Re: For engineers only
Author: Throttle_JCKY

I have always thought that GE's are silent when in throttle up, but the EMD's are more silent while running at speed (once you have the train at the speed you want). Really I never paid much attention though.

Date: 07/17/02 07:19
Author: reslivka

I'm sorry, but all locomotives are noisy. The quietest I've had are the SD70I's that CSX got from Conrail. But none are silent. The best is like having a cheap compact car with really loud highway noise. The older guys appreciate the difference, but that steady rumble can beat on your ears too.

Date: 07/17/02 11:27
Author: trainmaster3

...if they could just figure out a way to quiet down those Air Conditioning fans ;-)

Date: 07/17/02 16:58
Author: GoneLoco

Brand new GE's are quieter. But give them a few months, and the 4-cycle motor begins to shake the cab loose. Then the prominent sound is all the squeaks and rattles. And don’t even think about leaving a cup of coffee on the control stand. It will be on the floor within 30 seconds. A year later panels will no longer stay on the cabinets because of wear. And you will find rolled up paper towels stuck everywhere trying to quiet the rattles.

Bill

Date: 07/17/02 17:07
Author: NS-33

I will have to agree. I think the D-9's are not as noisy as the SD's. Especially when you are running with the windows open and go into dynamic brake the SD's are very loud. But I have to add that overall my favorite engine is still the
SD-40-2.

C.M.
Wash.Dist.

Date: 07/17/02 19:34
Thanks fellows
Author: wheel

I appreciate the replies, thanks!

Date: 07/17/02 22:07
Author: seaboardmike

hey wheel! conductors also ride on the loco's i get the feeling our opinion's must not count!

Date: 07/18/02 07:30
Author: reslivka

No offense, but 80% of the conductors could only tell you what color the engine is. LOL

Roger that on those A/C fans, what a racket!

My favorite rattle solution I've seen is the ever-present fusee wedged between the control desk and the wall. Doesn't seem safe to me, but it stops that damn shaking.

Date: 07/19/02 15:39
Author: extralist1

Don't leave home without your duct tape. Great for drafts, rattles, squeaks, torn seats etc. In a pinch, it can even be used to restrain over-ambitious trainmasters and road foreman.

Date: 07/19/02 17:09
Author: seaboardmike

hey,some of the engineers ive worked with and talked to are the same way!as so far as not knowing what kind of engine there running or much else. but theres alot of reasons for that.

Date: 07/20/02 09:07
Author: cr-engineer1

The isolated cabs from EMD are the quietest things out there, although the 6000hp GE AC's with their isolated generators are pretty good. EMD got it right with the WhisperCab name. Very quiet with the windows closed. Even the horn is well muffled. With the windows open, they are still way quieter than most units with the windows closed. The one problem with the isolated cabs is they become bouncey if they aren't maintained. The one poster is right about EMD dynamics, they do scream. Kind of neat sounding.

The loudest, most obnoxious units have the be the standard cab SD70's. They can be downright painful even with hearing protection, especially in the higher notches. On the GE side, they still haven't gotten it right with insulating the cab from outside noise like the horn in their safety cabs. The horn is way louder than EMD safety cabs, isolated or not.

As far as older standard cabs, EMD has it all over GE in comfort, ease of access and noise levels. Climb aboard a C36-7 and then get on an SD40-2. To call the GE poorly designed is an understatement. Narrow doors and walkways. Steep, high steps. You need to be built like Olive Oyl to get around on one.

Date: 07/20/02 10:29
Re: cr-engineer1
Author: gladhand

I couldn't agree with you more, no thought whatsoever in regard to crew ingress & egress with a G.E. I haven't noticed your posting a great deal lately. Don't let the dreamers & the uninformed keep you away. This board needs more of your ilk, those of us that actually railroad for a living.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds