Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Ambridge, Pa. railfan spots?

Date: 09/22/14 00:31
Ambridge, Pa. railfan spots?
Author: robbie

Hello, all!

Sorry to once again be asking for others' expertise, but my wife and I will be heading out next weekend for a friend's wedding and our anniversary. We'll be staying near the Old Economy Village area around Ambridge, Pa. I know this is right along the NS line to Conway, and I've checked our archives and some other sites, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good, safe and relatively easy spot to railfan?

I stress "safe and relatively easy" because I'm pretty certain my time to railfan will be limited, likely to a quick stop here or there or maybe sitting in my car somewhere in the evening, since I want to make sure my wife enjoys our first anniversary. So given that it may be after dark, I wouldn't want to raise the fears of RR police. I know Conway isn't too far, but having never been around this area, I don't know if there are good spots to park and watch? And my main interest being towers, signals or historical/photogenic spots, anything still speaking to the line's Pennsy heritage? (I'm guessing most PLs are now Safetran color-lights, but maybe a closed tower is still standing somewhere?) I'm also intrigued looking at a map of Beaver, Pa., where there seem to be some nice bridges and a park nearby, but not sure if it would be worth the drive... And, I noticed on an older thread that there's a model RR club in Ambridge, though it looks like it's open to the public only around the holidays?

Again, any insight from folks who know that area would be well appreciated! While not a railfan trip, if I can get a few minutes trackside in a new spot, always a nice opportunity!

Thanks,
Robbie
Defiance, Ohio

Date: 09/22/14 06:25
Re: Ambridge, Pa. railfan spots?
Author: toledopatch

Go just a mile or two to Leetsdale. Popular spot, easy parking on the west side of the tracks, PRR signal bridges still standing.

Date: 09/22/14 08:45
Author: PLERR

Toledopatch is correct, Leetsdale is your best option. Most folks park near the overpass at the entrance to the industrial park, but you'll find other spots if you drive around the facility. The old truss bridge is closed to vehicles now, so that's an interesting spot to sit. Leetsdale is nice because you have a defect detector on each side of you, so there's plenty of advance warning. I can't say I've run into NS Police there, but I have seen the Leetsdale Police on about 30% of my visits. They're very nice, and very patient with railfans - as long as you're behaving responsibly. From my experience I would consider this a safe area.

There are windows into Conway yard here and there, but not anything I'd recommend to someone who doesn't know the area and has limited time.

If you decide to head towards Beaver stop in Freedom. The main street is parallel to and slightly above Rt. 65 and West Conway Yard. After that just continue on and get right back onto 65.

The park you're referring to is in Bridgewater. It provides a nice view of the old P&LE bridge (now CSX). The NS Cleveland Line runs along the edge of the park but doesn't see nearly the amount of traffic as the Ft Wayne Line.

If You're thinking of going as far as Beaver I'd choose Rochester instead. No stunning scenery, but pretty constant action. And you can hear plenty of chatter from Conway Control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/14 07:57 by PLERR.

Date: 09/22/14 19:19
Author: DJ-12

Leetsdale is your best bet., as others have mentioned. There is a full set on classic PRR PL signals guarding tthe interlocking as well.

Date: 09/22/14 21:26
Author: SantaFeRuss

I will echo Toledopatch and PittsburghMike with Leetsdale as a good train watching spot. Not the best spot for photos though. You can get eastbounds going under the signal bridge in the morning if you are on the west side of the tracks. Eastbounds are better shot in the afternoon from the west side as well. Lots of trains to be had. The mainline goes from 3 to 4 tracks at Leetsdale for the approach to Conway yard a few miles northwest.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 09/22/14 22:26
Author: robbie

Thanks for the help! Sounds like a good place I can get to if my wife is watching a TV show I'm not into or the like, without taking up too much time. :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds