Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Blue Ridge Scenic Railway

Date: 09/22/14 09:28
Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
Author: gerclr

Has anyone been to the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway in Blue Ridge, Georgia? I found a thread on here that discusses it as a tourist railroad option in Georgia, but I didn't find any threads that give reviews or anything similar. I am in Atlanta on business for the week and have some free time on Saturday and Sunday. I am trying to decide if it is worth the 90 mile drive one way from Atlanta. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Date: 09/22/14 11:18
Re: Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
Author: Dewman45

You can go to brscenic.com for more info It is owned by the Georiga Northeastern Railroad. They hay a GP10 ex NYC & GP9R ex GTW for power. But what is cool is they hay the history of each car on the side.
Here is three photo of the train.
1. GP9R GNRR 4631 ex GTW.
2. GP10 GNRR ex NYC.
3. Passenger car from FEC.

Date: 09/22/14 12:43
Author: Mudrock

Here is their web site.

http://brscenic.com/

Chris

Date: 09/22/14 12:49
Author: NSDTK

I road it about 9 years ago. Found it to be a good ride. Can be a tad rough at times. Fallows the River and is very scenic imho.

Date: 09/22/14 19:03
Author: conraildan3

I rode it seven years ago. Its a fun scenic ride

Posted from Android

Date: 09/22/14 19:39
Author: KY_Railfan

My wife and I rode it just over three years ago while on our honeymoon. :) We enjoyed the ride and scenery. It travels at the leisurely pace of 10 MPH. It stops in McCaysville, Georgia/Copperhill, Tennessee. (The state line bisects some buildings) Then it returns to Blue Ridge. I especially liked walking by the trailing engine on our way to the car we'd ride in. Nothing like the sound of a 567 idling.

Date: 09/22/14 19:52
Author: garr

It is worth the trip, especially when you consider the option of spending the day in Atlanta which is basically another homogenized US city-seen one, seen nearly all of them. And I live here.

I rode the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway a few years ago. It goes thru the North Georgia mountains to McCaysville, GA which is an interesting town, the TN/Ga state line runs thru the town, where it is called Copper Hill, TN. The Tennessee Valley Railway Museum also operates an excursion into Copper Hill on Saturdays, but it leaves from Etowah, TN.

If you like mainline action, another option might be to spend 90 minutes going up I75 to Chattanooga to ride the relatively short TVRM excursion and shop tour. Then make a stop in Dalton, GA to see the action on CSX and NS at Hair Junction at the downtown depot.

Jay

Date: 09/22/14 20:35
Author: gerclr

Thanks for all the responses. I might try to ride out on Saturday.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds