Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > seen my first GP-59 upclose

Date: 08/12/02 00:56
seen my first GP-59 upclose
Author: sal_nc

Just the other day i posted some questions about the GP-59 demos that NS owns. Tonight i got my first upclose glimpse as there was #4608 sitting in the old spencer yard at salisbury. I had a good idea of the general shape of these things but never have I realized that the windshield and number board arrangement made me think ALCO!!!! Angled glass and boards, i knew the demos had flush boards but never noticed mentally that the glass was angled as well, was a great site to see in person and upclose. Anyone wanting to see this engine, its currently on the salisbury switcher job, when we left the yard around 1am the engine was 2nd unit nose north. Enjoy!!!

Brooke
Sal_NC

Date: 08/12/02 07:23
They use to be office car power
Author: cameraman

For several years the GP59's were office car train power just after they were painted into NS colors. That was always a treat. Every time a train ran it had two or all three. Then the Dash 9's came along and they got bumped.

At the time they had unigue horns -- I don't know the model--, not the standard KL5s' on the Dash -9's.

Do you kow if they still have them?

Date: 08/12/02 08:50
could a pic be post of a GP59 please
Author: stuart

just wondering if some one would post a pic for me to see curious
thanks
stuart

Date: 08/12/02 09:55
Re: could a pic be post of a GP59 please
Author: peachfuzz

Ask and ye shall receive. Have them in original EMD paint, "bandit" paint like below, and in pure dead black.

This one was the easiest to get to.

Date: 08/12/02 11:21
Re: They use to be office car power
Author: Larry576

Yes they have their old horns (although a few may have been changed). they sound pretty awful now as they are all out of tune. They are not well liked by NS crews - especially for switching. I had one recently and wasn't impressed. They vibrate excessively.
Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds