Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pine Junction/Gary/Kirk Yard questions...

Date: 10/20/14 08:49
Pine Junction/Gary/Kirk Yard questions...
Author: santoro2020

Just a couple questions regarding Pine Junction/Gary and CN's Kirk Yard there for a first-timer's trip out to there. Haha....:
1.) What EJ&E units are currently at Gary and are there any GTW units based in Kirk currently to? Or just anything worth of interest. This can include ones that are painted in CN paint to.
2.) How many CN trains roughly go through Pine Junction in a day to? Including Yard Jobs, Transfers, Locals, etc... Any time of day to best see them to? I got the NS and CSX lines down mostly.
3.) How frequent does the South Shore go through Gary to?...if it does go through Gary.
4.) And is Kirk Yard easy to get to also?

Thanks. Kyle...

Date: 10/20/14 09:03
Re: Pine Junction/Gary/Kirk Yard questions...
Author: Ohiorailfan

EJEs include 674, 671, 669, and a few others I cant remember. GTW 4911 is there. CN runs about 1 or 2 every hour or so. CSS is as needed I believe and Kirk is very acessible

Posted from Android

Date: 10/20/14 10:03

Ok. Awesome! Thanks for all the info...we are trying to get over there one nice weekend before it gets cold and the "winter s word" starts flying. Haha. Does the CSS have their own line through there to for their freights? And I was hearing from other people that Kirk was very difficult to get to though. Is their more parts of the area that are more easily accessible than others?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/14 10:18 by santoro2020.

Date: 10/20/14 10:16
Author: Ohiorailfan

santoro2020 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok. Awesome! Thanks for all the info...we are
> trying to get over there one nice weekend before
> it gets cold and the snow starts flying. Haha.
> Does the CSS have their own line through there to
> for their freights? And I was hearing from other
> people that Kirk was very difficult to get to
> though. Is their more parts of the area that are
> more easily accessible than others?

CSS will run on CSX, but they do have their own Electric line in Gary. Buchanan street will take you up to the CN engine house. There is a road that will go to the right and up near the Roundhouse

Date: 10/20/14 14:16

Ok. Cool. Thanks. And yeah, I was just looking at a map of it to. We'll have to try and check that out if we go. Does anyone know to if B&LE SD38-2 #878 is based outta Kirk Yard to cause I know that's been running around the CN in the Chicago area recently...or is just kind of used wherever they need it? Seems like there is a lot of variety of motive-power at Kirk Yard.

Date: 10/20/14 19:45
Author: calumet

santoro2020 Wrote:
> 2.) How many CN trains roughly go through Pine
> Junction in a day to? Including Yard Jobs,
> Transfers, Locals, etc... Any time of day to best
> see them to? I got the NS and CSX lines down
> mostly.
> 3.) How frequent does the South Shore go through
> Gary to?...if it does go through Gary.
> 4.) And is Kirk Yard easy to get to also?

An average day sees around 20 CN trains.

A South Shore freight out-and-back runs thru on the CSX main, but not every day. CSS freights on the South Shore main thru Gary are rare.

Kirk Yard is off limits. CN security people will make you regret having gone there.

Date: 10/21/14 07:56

Anyone know a list of the Locals that operate out of Kirk Yard to. I know of the L517-91...(the old IC Markham Yard to Kirk Yard transfer). What time does that normally run and does it run on the weekends to?

Date: 10/21/14 11:24
Re: Kirk Yard
Author: toledopatch

calumet Wrote:
> Kirk Yard is off limits. CN security people will
> make you regret having gone there.

That's what I thought. Kirk was notoriously tight when US Steel owned the railroad, and I have been given no reason to believe that has changed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds