Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Seeking Advice

Date: 11/10/14 18:04
Seeking Advice
Author: wabash1189

I have an interview in the morning with Norfolk Southern for a conductor position. This will be my first interview with them. Anyone have some advice or words of wisdom before I go? I feel confident in myself, but I just was wondering what others thought or have experience of. Thank you.

Date: 11/10/14 18:10
Re: Seeking Advice
Author: DrLoco

get some rest, show up EARLY, be as calm as you can...
it may take a few tries to get hired on--be persistent.
Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/14 18:10 by DrLoco.

Date: 11/10/14 18:36
Author: cjvrr

Best of luck!

Date: 11/10/14 18:50
Author: wa4umr

This has been ask several time on TO and you're going to be told not to let them know you're a rail fan. Not a good idea to tell them you know all the signals, you know about three step protection, you don't get on of off moving equipment, etc... I haven't had a job interview in 40 years but I've worked with some guys that thought they knew everything about the job and it turned out they didn't know Jack. Some of them became good technicians and others didn't. Those that had an interest in the job did well. The ones that were there because the got hungry every now and then and they needed some kind of roof over their head and a car would be something nice to have did OK but they didn't excel. I worked at a phone company and there were several of us that were hams. We had an interest and understanding of electronics and we all did well. An interest in railroads will make you a quick learner because you have an interest but just remember, you know about it now but you don't know all the nuts and bolts of the job. Don't pretend you know it all, just be eager to learn it all. It's not a job you're looking for, it's a CAREER that you want to pursue.

Good luck.

John

Date: 11/10/14 19:35

This was my third hiring session, but this is my first time making the cut for an interview. They did half of the candidates today and scheduled the other half of us for Tuesday.

Date: 11/10/14 19:53
Author: SlipperyWhenWet

Tell them safety is important to you, they'll be eating out of your hand, they love that shit

Posted from Android

Date: 11/10/14 20:05
Author: jtwlunch

They need to be made confident that you are willing to work all shifts, on call, holidays, and whatever else it takes to be a good employee. They wash as many people out as they can over this as it is the hardest part of the job. If you have not worked on call, slept, ate, awake at all hours and weather you better prepare yourself mentally because it is going to happen. Railroading is all about working with people and getting along together, looking out for each other and being safe. The rails and the equipment are there and interesting but it is going to be about the people you work with.

Date: 11/10/14 20:31
Author: elwefel

All pretty good advise. Be yourself and answer their questions truthfully. Railroading is not easy and isn't for everyone. In my experience it isn't a nine to five job. with Saturdays and Sundays off. Not even for a paper pusher!

Good luck. Elly Wefel, Retired Rail 35 years service. (Paper pusher)

Date: 11/10/14 20:36
Author: trkspd

When they ask who is responsible for safety, we all are! We are all a family here on the railroad and we have to watch out for each other at all times. One unsafe move or lapse in judgment and someone could die.

Don't ever admit to bring unsafe.

Also, if they ask what you would do if a manager asked you to perform a duty you feel is unsafe, the answer is good faith challenge if applicable, job brief and suggest other methods of performing the task in a safer manner.

If you don't know what your doing or are ever unsure, STOP movement and job brief.

For the interview wear a wrist watch, no rings, don't smell like cigarette smoke or take any smoke breaks offered, have your cell phone off or in your car, bring paper and pen, don't overdress, wear something you would switch cars at the yard in (Nice jeans, lace up work boots, nice t-shirt.) When given an interview time, do NOT be one of the idiots who leaves and comes back at the time given. Stay outside the door, they tend to call you early and if you do not show up when your name is called, that's it.

Please know, they are observing you at ALL times, in the interview room and while you are just waiting around.

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/14 20:44 by trkspd.

Date: 11/10/14 20:36
Author: Vanakatherock

Good luck with your interview! Maybe we'll see you at the Locust Grove, GA platform in the near future.

Date: 11/10/14 23:26
Author: bobwilcox

Lot of good advice, especially about the importance of safety. It all comes down to if they hire you will you make them money?

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 11/11/14 05:42
Author: mopacrr

I can't add much to what has been already mentioned. However, don't come across as over eager railfan who already knows more than everyone else. If your a fan, that fact will come out soon enough in the way you perform your job.No matter how much you think you about railroading;you will never know it all. I used to get aggravated at new hires who thought they had it all figured out, but as I told them before I retired " I have been doing this for nearly 40 years, and I don't have it all figured out."

Date: 11/11/14 06:09
Author: NYC6001

The personality test hangs railfans up sometimes. Answer the questions like you are compliant, respect authority, respect property of others. Answer like you were going to drive an armored car with treasure in it. Safety and responsibility is what they want.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/11/14 14:46

I feel as though my interview was successful. They quizzed me on my resume, what is the extra board and so on. Other questions were about any disputes with co-workers, being written up or fired. It only took about 8-10 minutes.

Date: 11/11/14 15:12
Author: wabash2800

I wish you luck, and hopefully you get hired. But if you never hear from them again, don't be surprised. That was my experience with NS for a position a few years ago. I spent a whole day of my time going through the group interview, including passing the test successfully. After most of the interviewees had been weeded out, I went one on one with the department head and was told I had a good chance of being hired and would be contacted either way. I never heard anything again, though I sent an email to the human resources manager and a thank you letter (also via email).

But many corporations do the same thing. With email they are just a click away from saying "no thank you", but can't even do that. What kind of employer is that? Later, when going to the website and seeing the hype about fair employment, the diversity thingy and the inclination to hire vets, I could only think it's a bunch of poop. And I always thought highly of NS and felt it had a lot more going for it than CSX.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/14 15:13 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0799 seconds