Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > UP Weekend around Harrisburg

Date: 11/23/14 18:53
UP Weekend around Harrisburg
Author: sscannella

In the 2 hours or so I was out both Saturday and Sunday, it seemed like every other NS train I saw had UP power of some form or another.

I was waiting on ethanol train 64E from the State St. Bridge for quite a while when 11R came around it with a clean UP SD70ACe on the point. After getting some pics from the bridge, I had to weave through heavy traffic and detours in downtown Harrisburg (I had forgotten about the Holiday Parade Saturday morning), but managed to get across the Susquehanna River to get another shoot of it at 7th Street in Lemoyne on the Lurgan Branch.

I then managed to get back to the State St./CP-HARRIS area to get the 64E finally pulling with a standard-cab EMD leading two more UP units. In just the short period of time it took me to get back across the river the dreaded cloud deck had started to roll in.

Date: 11/23/14 18:57
Re: UP Weekend around Harrisburg

Took a short break to go to the gym, and when I got done there I went to check on the 33A which had been working in Enola putting his train together. He had come out and crossed over the river and was going to take on fuel at the pad on the Harrisburg side. That gave me an idea to set up just east of the pad for this view of it starting east after taking on fuel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/14 15:44 by sscannella.

Date: 11/23/14 19:05

Sunday was an overnight 11-hour database maintenance session at work, when I finally got done with that and got out of the building, I saw a train heading through HARRIS interlocking again - another 11R bound for the Lurgan. Time to head over to Lemoyne for a repeat - 2 UP engines with an NS again, this time the NS unit was on the point.

Then headed upriver and caught 21M at Cove with a 5 unit consist, including one of NS's ex-UP SD90MACs (7281) in the middle. Heading back east I intercepted 23Z coming off the Rockville bridge on the Marysville side with yet again another pair of UP's in the middle of a 6-unit power set.

Needed to get home, so I called it quits shortly after that.

Date: 11/24/14 04:43
Author: jmbreitigan

Do you have any idea what that is under plastic to the left in your first photo?
Thanks, John

Date: 11/24/14 05:08
Author: Pattenburg

Isn't that the GG1 covered up?

Date: 11/24/14 05:54

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you have any idea what that is under plastic to
> the left in your first photo?
> Thanks, John

Harrisburg NRHS chapter's GG1 and PRR cabin car, which had to be moved from display at the Amtrak station to make room for improvement work at the station.

Date: 11/24/14 08:42
Author: chs7-321

sscannella Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Then headed upriver and caught 21M at Cove with a
> 5 unit consist, including one of NS's ex-UP
> SD90MACs (7281) in the middle. Heading back east
> I intercepted 23Z coming off the Rockville bridge
> on the Marysville side with yet again another pair
> of UP's in the middle of a 6-unit power set.
>

Where would one park in order to get to this "overlook"?

Just on the shoulder of Rt 11, and then climb up onto the rock face?

Date: 11/24/14 08:55

The 'overloook' is off of 11/15 just past the bridge behind the billboard. I usually don't, but some do climb up higher on the hilllside there.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/24/14 17:07
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!! My favorite is the last pic.

I managed to see both of those 11Rs over the weekend......that UP ACE is the cleanest I have seen in awhile.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds