Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Abandoned line in Beckley WV

Date: 11/24/14 01:03
Abandoned line in Beckley WV
Author: msullivan1993

While on my business trips to Beckley, WV, I always drive along US 19 that runs through town, and through the middle of town past all the malls and car dealerships, there always seemed to be a section of land next to the road that seemed to mimic a railroad ROW. Looking on Mapquest, there is still a line marked from southeast of Mabscott (for some reason incorrectly marked as the B&O) that branches from today's Piney Creek Subdivision and follows Route 16 into Beckley proper before turning east to follow US 19/North Eisenhower Drive through Beckley, branching off at Route 8 (Ragland Road) for what appears to be some sort of industrial spur, while the remaning line followed Cranberry Creek towards Prosperity before ending just east of I-64/I-77 south of Exit 48. I presume this used to be some sort of industrial spur into town, but was removed several years ago. Does anyone know what this section of line was called, and what it used to serve? Just been curious about it, especially since I spend several days out of the month in Beckley now, and the only thing to really see is a couple coal trains on both CSX and NS.

Date: 11/24/14 06:01
Re: Abandoned line in Beckley WV
Author: gcw

Date: 11/24/14 10:04
Author: johnacraft

This map is from Gene Huddleston's "Riding that New River Train," which thoroughly covers C&O trackage in the area.

The line through Beckley was built as the Piney Ridge and Paint Creek Railway. From 1918 it was jointly operated with the Virginian Railway.

Date: 11/24/14 13:32
Author: CShaveRR

There was also the Kanawha, GlenJean & Eastern Railroad (might be included in this map) that later became part of C&O. That might be connected, though, with C&O's Loup Creek Subdivision, which left the main line at Thurmond (slightly downstream from Prince). There were connections and grade-separations galore in these parts once!

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

Date: 11/24/14 17:43
Author: msullivan1993

johnacraft Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This map is from Gene Huddleston's "Riding that
> New River Train," which thoroughly covers C&O
> trackage in the area.
>
> The line through Beckley was built as the Piney
> Ridge and Paint Creek Railway. From 1918 it was
> jointly operated with the Virginian Railway.

That would be it. What was it's primary purpose? It doesn't look like downtown Beckley had a lot of mines, more industry than anything. When was the line removed?

Date: 11/24/14 17:53
Author: EL3600

30+ years ago there were mines along the line and mines further out from town. Very little trace now. Strip malls have covered them up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds