Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Calling all critter experts

Date: 09/23/02 18:14
Calling all critter experts
Author: CRmac80

What is this unit,and who built it?Grab shot from a "special photo location",it's the first time I've seen it out(and I've gone by here hundreds of times).Cleveland RTA rapid tracks in the forground,hence the overhead wire.Is this a battery powered unit(note what looks to be a large bank of batteries under cab),or internal combustion(no exhaust,unless that's it between the cab windows).Neat headlights,and looks to still be friction bearing equiped.Shot August,2002.Thanks for any info,as I'm not very knowledgeable on industrial units!

Date: 09/23/02 18:24
Re: Calling all critter experts
Author: MRSLIDES

Unit is possibly the oldest General Electric locomotive in daily service. Locomotive was built in 1937 for Republic Steel. It is an 80 tonner. JCB

Date: 09/23/02 19:10
Author: CRmac80

Many thanks John-you are quick on the draw!Wow,1937-wonder if any of today's GE units will make it that long!RAD
ps:they have built an engine shed for that "purple Alco" down here in Akron,just to let you know.Could be tough finding it outside now.

Date: 09/23/02 19:28
Author: eric

>Wow,1937-wonder if any of today's GE units will >make it that long!

I guess that would be like a dash 9 out there in the year 2067. ;-)

I'm no expert in these things but the utility and toughness of them is pretty cool.

-Eric

Date: 09/24/02 04:23
Author: ge13031

The battery box doors are probably open for maintenance ... GE had a knack of making their batteries very hard to get to ... you can just about slide your arm to the back connections. The truck frames are flame cut plate and welded, amazing that they last so long whereas cast trucks start to show fatigue failure after 40 years. The cab and hoods bear traces of maybe a later rebuild??? The style of cabs and hoods in the 30's and 40's was more rounded with a lower bang your head cab roof. Would be fun for an over, under, around and thru inspection trip.

Date: 09/24/02 05:54

Date: 09/24/02 16:35
Author: flatwheels

I think I have the last built 44 tone ge. Built 1952 We work it daily on the Charlotte Southern in Charlotee, Mi. Grain and dinner train service.

I have a 44 toner that was built in 1947 for Detroit Edison. By the purchase letter I view I paid almost the same amount 50+ years later. Working in detroit on the Detroit Connecting RR.

Our 3rd 44 toner in working daily in Lapeer Michigan on the LIRR (registered reporting marks) for the Lapeer Industrial RR.

We have the nitch and these things just keep on going and going and going.

Many dollars to rebuild and make reliable for freight and passenger service.

Date: 09/24/02 17:48

Nice to know somebody is using theirs! My GE just sits and sits and sits ... not enough class for the operation!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds