Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Derailment near Buffalo, NY

Date: 09/23/02 20:30
Derailment near Buffalo, NY
Author: kevin157

MP423 CSX mainline. Trains backed up in both east and west directions. What a mess for CSX on one of their busiest mainlines! I drove to Townline Rd, the closest point to view the wreck. About a mile east of there was the wreck. Alden township near Lancaster, an eastern suburb of Buffalo. Townline was a busy road, being rush hour when I got there. Wreck happened at 8:30AM I am told. By 5:30, they had track 1 repaired. They were letting eastbounds thru at 10mph. With the NF dispatcher's permission. That poor guy! Anyways, they had a cop guarding the tracks. No way to get there for pics. Just the TV trucks let down the right of way for pics. The highway was too busy, and no where to pull over. So I pulled into a truck junkyard located next to the tracks. Asked for permission to park and then go back on his property to try to get some derailment pics. The guy said ok, but my pics won't be so great. Walked about a mile through this truck junkyard, in hopes of getting pics. Ended up at a swamp, end of the road ! I could see the wreck , under a signal bridge. But trees and brush blocked out any good pics. Oh well, I really tried hard! LOL! Took pics of what I could see. Wouldn't you after walking a mile? If anyone wants to see them, I will post when I get them back. Did the best I could. Kev

Date: 09/23/02 20:33
Re: Derailment near Buffalo, NY
Author: toledopatch

kevin157 wrote:

> I could see the wreck , under a signal bridge. But trees and
> brush blocked out any good pics. Oh well, I really tried hard!
> LOL! Took pics of what I could see. Wouldn't you after walking
> a mile?

No. If the picture sucks, don't shoot it.

Date: 09/23/02 20:41
Author: kevin157

I walked a mile, had to shoot something to justify it! LOL!

Date: 09/24/02 05:04
Author: punxyspatcher

Yes please, I'd like to see photos, crappy or not. I lived at MP429 for 22 years, and so am intimiately familar with CP423 too. Hope the crew was okay, chances are it was someone I knew. Of course, we've all been saying that CSX is letting the interlockings get really bad. They said it was only a matter of time. Well, it was two weeks...

Mike

Date: 09/24/02 10:38
Author: trvr4003

ToledoPatch, save it for somewhere else. Anyways Q112's train had 10 loads, 0 empties. Crew proceeded east with three units and first two cars while a yard job pulled cars 9 and 10 back as the middle 6 cars derailed. Lots of Damage in Derailment, and yes, CSX has let the track get catostrophic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds