Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > FEC Ft. Lauderdale operations

Date: 12/17/14 20:53
FEC Ft. Lauderdale operations
Author: Soo715

I was under the impression that the new Port Everglades intermodal terminal was replacing the older yard that runs right by the Ft. Lauderdale airport (that is how the press releases went last year anyway....). The new yard opened last July. But a friend was at the airport recently and told me he saw a FEC train stopped right there at the old yard and that it seemed like it was being put together/worked on there. The FEC online schedules are a bit unclear on this...Ft. Lauderdale is listed and so is Port Everglades.

So are both yards in use? I was wondering if maybe strings of cars get pulled out of Port Everglades and assembled into a full train in the old Ft. Lauderdale yard? Just a guess though.... Anyone know for sure?

Date: 12/18/14 05:12
Re: FEC Ft. Lauderdale operations
Author: toledopatch

From having just driven by there with in the past week, and observed a little bit, the yard tracks along the main line are definitely still in use, particularly for boxcar traffic and for building the outbound #224 train each evening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/16 13:40 by toledopatch.

Date: 12/21/14 09:04
Re: FEC Ft. Lauderdale operations
Author: cdrapollo20

I am not entirely clear on how it still works but the Andrews Ave facility (one by the airport) is still in use. Primarily for non-intermodal operations. PEV, is used for the intermodal side of things.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds