Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Charlotte NC question

Date: 12/22/14 04:10
Charlotte NC question
Author: richs

While watching a little of the Browns vs. Panthers game (on television) at Bank of America stadium yesterday, I couldn't help but notice a well kept double track just outside I think the north end. I suspect this is a NS line, but I thought I would ask for a little information about it.
Thanks.
RichS

Date: 12/22/14 05:04
Re: Charlotte NC question
Author: SeaboardMan

Old Southern mainline, Atlanta to DC. Now NS.
John

Date: 12/22/14 05:31
Author: ctillnc

Site of the pre-1964 Southern passenger station is four blocks north of the stadium.

Date: 12/22/14 06:17
Author: richs

Thanks. I also just read of the Gateway station facility to be built by 2018 at the site of the torn down Southern station.
Is this still in the works? It would serve as a transportation center of sorts.

richs

Date: 12/22/14 08:12
Author: ctillnc

On hold. Emphasis at present is completing the track improvement program Charlotte-Raleigh and building the new station in Raleigh.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/22/4785948/how-charlottes-grand-central-got.html#.VJhBuAhzy

Date: 12/22/14 12:01
Author: K4YS

City officials have been talking about the new station for 20 years and the first shovel of dirt hasn't been turned. It could easily be another 20 years before construction begins.

Date: 12/22/14 19:55
Author: darkcloud

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On hold. Emphasis at present is completing the
> track improvement program Charlotte-Raleigh and
> building the new station in Raleigh.
>
> http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/22/478594
> 8/how-charlottes-grand-central-got.html#.VJhBuAhzy

No surprise, Charlotte has always gotten shafted for Raleigh when it comes to the state, despite Charlotte often having greater demand, worse traffic, earlier planned projects, etc. Guess where the capitol is?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0304 seconds