Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Mr. Peabody's Wayback Time Machine!

Date: 10/03/02 14:41
Mr. Peabody's Wayback Time Machine!
Author: BaltoJoey

Does anyone know where this photo was taken?

BaltoJoey

PS: This type of weather will be upon us soon!!

Date: 10/03/02 16:34
Re: Mr. Peabody's Wayback Time Machine!
Author: eashock

Gee, Mr. Peabody... I don't know!

-His boy, Sherman.

:-)

Date: 10/03/02 17:09
Author: toledocentralrr

wisconson in the 30's

Date: 10/04/02 06:09
Author: gonut

In Winter?

Date: 10/04/02 06:13
Author: wabash2800

The freight cars look at lot earlier than the 1930's.

Date: 10/04/02 09:16
Author: john1082

The boxcar with the star insignia suggests the turn of the century, perhaps 1900. Didn't the Pennsy use a star shape on some boxcars at that time?

Date: 10/04/02 15:22
Author: emorygrove

From one Baltimoron to another, Joey, doesn't the roof profile in the left background look like the remains of the old President Street station standing today? There was a small yard there until Allied Chemical shut down in the 80's. The stack in the background could be the power plant.

Date: 10/04/02 19:24
WE HAVE A WINNER !!
Author: BaltoJoey

Congratulations Emorygrove !! That is the President Street Station of the Pennsylvania Railroad in Baltimore, Maryland. The photo was taken after a severe snowstorm in Feb. 1899. Fleet Street is to the right of the station. The yard that served Allied Chemical was located on Aliceanna St. There were 2 yards there. The President St Station had 4 large freight sheds as well as 2 tracks that went between the sheds where trucks could unload the boxcars directly.

I could give you the whole history of the Pennsy in that area. ( I grew up 3 blocks from there ) Also my grandfather worked for the P B & W and then the Pennsylvania RR. He retired at the young age of 80. :-))

An honorable mention goes to John 1082 for his guesstimate of the date of the photo. I had wondered who owned the boxcar with the star logo.

BaltoJoey

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds