Home Open Account Help 188 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Alabama and Georgia

Date: 12/30/14 19:37
Alabama and Georgia
Author: im_trainman

With NS shutting the production MoW gangs down for the last 2 weeks of the year so we can spend the holidays with our families, I took a trip south to be with the wife. While she had to work, I got to play.

The first photo is the NS Train 270 shown in Leeds Alabama, this train starts off at the East Thomas Yard near Arkadelphia Alabama, runs east to Honda at Lincoln Alabama then returns to the BNSF yard.

The second photo is of the I20, second section of train 220. This is the first train I shot upon arrival. This was taken on 12-24 in Irondale Alabama, and was shocked to learn that they tied this train down for the Christmas Holiday, even with it being a stack train.

The third photo is of the I2A, second section of the 22A. This train was nothing but baretables and is shown sitting at 20th Street in Irondale Alabama awaiting a crew change taken 12-30-14.

Date: 12/30/14 19:41
Re: Alabama and Georgia

On 12-29 I headed to Georgia! Fouth up is an NS Yard Job working in the East Point section of Atlanta, it was kind of funny, the engineer was stopped waiting for his conductors next move and he yelled up to me and a buddy on the bridge and asked if we could get a photo of him in action and we obliged.

Number five is a former Southern Pacific GE locomotive serving as DP on a coal drag that was bound for Austell GA.

Number six is another coal drag, this one bound for the Scherer power plant. This train also had DP on it and the heavy train was making them work hard.

Date: 12/30/14 19:45

Number seven is of the CSX A002 as it passes the forlorn tower at the Spring Street interlocking.

Number eight is the obligatory MARTA shot, as one of the trains heads into town.

Number nine is the A002 with a bit of the skyline behind it.

Date: 12/30/14 19:49

Number ten is a CEFX SD90MAC on train 275 as they back into one of the yard tracks in Inman

Number eleven is one of the recently acquired SD90MACS on NS train 53W.

Number twelve is the Q041 in between a Coca-Cola facility and a Georgia Tech building.

Date: 12/30/14 19:52

Number thirteen is a shot from the CSX Tilford Yard, a lot of activity and history in this shot.

Number fourteen is a shot of the Atlanta Skyline from an overlook near Inman Yard.

Date: 12/30/14 20:42
Author: inCHI

Great shots, and didn't realize Big Johns were still in service.

Date: 12/30/14 21:24

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots, and didn't realize Big Johns were
> still in service.

There were 4 in a row on the A002, and the Big Johns are approaching their 50 year lifespan.

Date: 12/30/14 21:29
Author: garr

im_trainman Wrote:
> inCHI Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great shots, and didn't realize Big Johns were
> > still in service.
>
>
> There were 4 in a row on the A002, and the Big
> Johns are approaching their 50 year lifespan.

I believe all the original Big Johns with the round hatches are gone. The ones with the trough loading covers are newer, but still old and far along in their service lives. Weren't some of these cars rebuilt years ago to extend their service life?

Great series of photos, BTW.

Jay

Date: 12/31/14 04:37
Author: Vanakatherock

Great series of photos. Your two coal trains were very likely a 720 series for the UP powered and 730 series for the BNSF powered. Both heading to Plant Scherer with Power River coal.

Date: 12/31/14 05:00
Author: CSXT_8437

Where is Plant Scherer located?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 12/31/14 05:21
Author: jmbreitigan

Thank you for sharing your interesting photos from your trip south. Great composition in photo #14.
John

Date: 12/31/14 06:16
Author: florida581

CSXT_8437 Wrote:
> Where is Plant Scherer located?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Juliette, GA. It's just north of Macon.

Andrew

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/31/14 06:18
Author: florida581

Love that shot of Inman Yard with the Atlanta skyline in the background. Big city railfanning at its finest!

Andrew

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/31/14 16:55
Author: ns1000

florida581 Wrote:
> Love that shot of Inman Yard with the Atlanta
> skyline in the background. Big city railfanning
> at its finest!
>
> Andrew
>
> Posted from iPhone

+1!!! GREAT stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0774 seconds