Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > New crossovers going in on CSX A-Line, North End

Date: 01/19/15 16:53
New crossovers going in on CSX A-Line, North End
Author: Totallamer

I've heard there's to be 3 new high-speed crossovers installed on the North End subdivision this year... and it's begun. Concrete ties, rail, frogs and crates of switch machine parts are laid out to the side of #1 main in Enfield, NC. Just south of the last crossing in town. My best guess is we'll see a new double crossover installed here... CP Enfield I imagine. The only thing I wonder is whether the intermediates at North Enfield and Quality Forest will remain, as they're probably too close to the new crossovers to give the necessary indication. I wouldn't be surprised if that section of #2 main ended up being CPs Delmar -> Enfield -> Bricks.

From what I've heard, the other two crossovers will be installed at South Weldon and College Crossing. Take it with a grain of salt of course...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/15 16:53 by Totallamer.

Date: 01/19/15 17:19
Re: New crossovers going in on CSX A-Line, North End
Author: Benched_it

It was in the paper about a week ago so it might be happening?

Jay

Date: 01/19/15 17:26

"The" paper? Which city's?

Date: 01/19/15 18:59
Author: B36-7

Totallamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard there's to be 3 new high-speed
> crossovers installed on the North End subdivision
> this year... and it's begun. Concrete ties, rail,
> frogs and crates of switch machine parts are laid
> out to the side of #1 main in Enfield, NC. Just
> south of the last crossing in town. My best guess
> is we'll see a new double crossover installed
> here... CP Enfield I imagine. The only thing I
> wonder is whether the intermediates at North
> Enfield and Quality Forest will remain, as they're
> probably too close to the new crossovers to give
> the necessary indication. I wouldn't be surprised
> if that section of #2 main ended up being CPs
> Delmar -> Enfield -> Bricks.
>
> From what I've heard, the other two crossovers
> will be installed at South Weldon and College
> Crossing. Take it with a grain of salt of
> course...

CSX should just double track the Northend Sub back again at least from "Battle"(Battleboro) to Halifax with the crossovers you mentioned. It would save $$$ in the long run. With traffic increasing back to levels seen on some days prior to 2009 it is inevitable. Intermodal is the biggest jump at the current time.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/19/15 19:10

The way I hear it if anything will be re-doubled it'll be Reames to Carson first. Even then, not until the Virginia Ave tunnel project goes through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/15 19:11 by Totallamer.

Date: 01/19/15 22:01
Author: ctillnc

Glad to see that CSX finally got around to accepting NCDOT funding (which in turn is federal funding) for this project. CSX has sat on it for three years. The crossovers are intended to make the NC side of the Petersburg-Rocky Mount black hole more fluid so that Amtrak 79, 80, 89, 90,a and 92 won't get hung up there as much.

Crossovers will be installed at South Weldon (86.4), Enfield (101.5), and Armstrong (115.4).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/15 22:07 by ctillnc.

Date: 01/20/15 06:52

I'd say the Enfield crossover will be the most useful. Southbounds (especially the Q405 and Q415) will oftentimes be held out of terminal at Bricks for hours because Rocky Mount isn't ready for them. This turns the A-Line to single main from Battle to Halifax and just makes a mess of things if it happens during a busy spell. I've seen an Amtrak asked to pull in at Delmar then back out once another train got by more than once.

Date: 01/20/15 10:06
Author: Benched_it

Totallamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The" paper? Which city's?

Raleigh, NC The News and Observer. I was wrong on the date unless I read it in another paper...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/01/17/4483161_csx-ncdot-join-to-build-railroad.html?rh=1

Jay

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.07 seconds