Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NJ/PA Video Location Help

Date: 01/24/15 15:32
NJ/PA Video Location Help
Author: bigjim4life

This video clip comes from a home movie that my parents did back in the 80's. The only problem is that they don't remember where it was filmed, and I don't know the location either, so I'm turning to the TO crew to help.

This is somewhere along the NE Corridor, but I'm not sure where. It's definitely either NJ or PA, you can see both NJ Transit and SEPTA trains - along with some Amtrak and Conrail - I'm guessing in NJ, but I can't tell via the landmarks - so where is this?

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/24/15 16:05
Re: NJ/PA Video Location Help
Author: toledopatch

I can rule out New Jersey. SEPTA equipment doesn't go past Trenton station, and there's noplace like that between Trenton station and the Delaware River. I'd say it's probably around Morrisville, PA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/15 16:06 by toledopatch.

Date: 01/24/15 16:19
Author: Lackawanna484

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can rule out New Jersey. SEPTA equipment doesn't
> go past Trenton station, and there's noplace like
> that between Trenton station and the Delaware
> River. I'd say it's probably around Morrisville,
> PA.

I'd agree with that. The extra wide right of way and extended hangers for the catenary would support that observation. The line is many tracks wide just north of the Morrisville yard, and the picture shows something like that. But did NJT electrics go south of the Trenton station in the 1980s and early 1990s? I thought that yard opened around 2000-2001.

I've been looking at the google satellite map for the Morrisville area, and I'm not coming up with a current water etc tower in the right location.

Date: 01/24/15 16:48
Author: pal77

Must be a special Septa Move That is Trenton just east of Station. Water tower still stands, buildings across the tracks also still there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/15 17:22 by pal77.

Date: 01/24/15 16:58

pal77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Must be a special Septa Move That is Trenton
> just east of Station. Water tower still stands,
> buildings across the tracks also still their.

Except this is only a couple of clips out of about 20 minutes worth of footage, including a few more SEPTA trains...in addition to all of the others.

Posted from iPhone

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA

Date: 01/24/15 17:06
Author: pal77

Watched again, this 1:44 clip is in Trenton. The other posters are correct generally Septa goes as far as Morrisville, also NJT does go to Morrisville for storage. Post the other clips be cool to see.

Date: 01/24/15 17:23
Author: pdt

East of the trenton station. Big open grassy area there, where used to be a big yard and tracks to the bel del.
SEPTA cud easily has pulled up there for a layover.

Date: 01/24/15 18:54
Author: Sirsonic

Just east of Trenton, the signals visible at one point are the eastbound home signals at Ham interlocking. You can check it out on Google or Bing Maps, just look up North Olden Ave in Trenton where it crosses the railroad. That's the overhead bridge visible in most of the video.

During rush hours it's common (and has been) for SEPTA trains to be sent east of Ham to turn and go back west. NJT trains generally didn't go west of Fair in Trenton until the NJT Morrisville Yard was built in the early/mid 2000's.

Date: 01/24/15 21:04

Is this area still "available" or "open" for viewing like this?

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA

Date: 01/25/15 07:13
Author: Out_Of_Service

they were standing in the old Barracks MW yard just TT east geo north of Trenton station ... this location is where the electrified branch cut off the main at Trenton Station for Coalport yard that was situated along Rt 1 ... Coalport yard was where the trains from the Bel-Del ran into/out of ... the electric motors were taken off and ran lite back to Morrisville and diesels took over for Phillipsburg ... the trains were mostly coal and iron ore for the LV interchange destined for Bethlehem Steel in Bethlehem

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds