Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX on the ground in south Philly

Date: 01/31/15 03:37
CSX on the ground in south Philly
Author: reel_smooth

Channel 6 is reporting 11 cars derailed from what appears to be a CSX train in south Philly. Couldn't make out their report and can't find anything additional from either their website or any others in the area.

Date: 01/31/15 05:50
Re: CSX on the ground in south Philly
Author: RAILWATCH

An 11-car train -- containing crude oil -- came off the rails in South Philadelphia early Saturday morning, prompting a hazmat situation.

Crews rushed to the tracks, located just south of Pattison Avenue and 11th Street, around 3 a.m. to find the derailed, yet still upright, CSX train, officials said.

...more here with video:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Train-Derails-in-South-Philadelphia-290416621.html

Date: 01/31/15 06:03
Author: HB90MACH

Right behind the link stadium. No leaks

Date: 01/31/15 06:41
Author: Out_Of_Service

Pattison and 11th st is right at the Comcast Xfinity Live Center 2 blocks from the railroad one block from Broad St ... 11th St and 95 is right where old Stadium tower use to stand ... there's an access rd entrance to the yard off 11th which crosses the tracks at the yard throat at the west end of the intermodal yard just east of Broad St ... the derailment happened in the yard right where old Stadium tower stood ... CSX stages oil trains just west of Broad ... there are 4 tracks between Broad and CP-Penrose ... 3 ex PRR one ex B&O ... i can't recall the track #s/designations ... CSX stages their oil trains for PES on one or two of those tracks ... it's not unusual to find an empty waiting to head out and a loaded train for the refinery sitting between Broad St and Penrose ... the crew might have been making some sort of reverse move to stage the oil train ... the former B&O yard tracks to the former IM ramp at Snyder Ave are just about under 95 at that point ... an 11 car train doesn't seem right to me if it's crude oil which travels in 100+ car unit trains so it was probably part of a bigger train and 11 cars derailed ...

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/15 07:11 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 01/31/15 19:55
Author: Gonut1

OOS,
Yawn, BIG Non-news. Train fell off tracks. I'm thinking this may have happened once before, somewhere, sometime.
Did I mention, Yawn!

Good night.
Go

Date: 02/01/15 14:44
Author: knotch8

Trying to piece together what out_of_service is describing - thanks for the details - here's a Google Maps overview of the area: http://goo.gl/maps/lwP4c The railroad looks like it arrives in South Philadelphia on the left then curves around beneath I-95 (Delaware Expressway) and is laid-out east-west parallel to I-95 across from Lincoln Financial Field and the other sports venues. There's an old refinery on the middle left of the photo. I think it's being refurbished after Sunoco sold it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0332 seconds