Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > # CW60ACs To Become CW44-9s?

Date: 11/14/02 19:10
# CW60ACs To Become CW44-9s?
Author: garyj

I'm sorry if this is old news for you guys, but this is the first I heard of it myself. I was checking out some links on a page, and stumbled across this site: http://www.tamr.org/

The paragraph that caught my attention says: "CSX has now started to remotor their CW60ACs (AC6000CWs) with motors used in CW44-9s (C44-9Ws or Dash 9's). This remotoring is due to their horrible performance after their purchase from GE. CSX will now designate them as CW44-9s."

I don't want to bash GE, but on my last trip to Cumberland there were 14 GE's sitting near the roundhouse (one AC6000 was smoking horribly) and only two EMD's that were in and out quickly.

Does anyone know if this info from July is correct?

Gary

Date: 11/14/02 19:35
Re: # CW60ACs To Become CW44-9s?
Author: mderrick

For the most part, the way it's worded is incorrect. To date, only one CW60AC has had its HDL prime mover swapped for an FDL. All other units that have been downgraded have been done so through computer software changes only, not an engine swap. The class that CSX is giving units receiving this treatment is C44-6W.

Mike Derrick
Atlanta,GA
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Date: 11/14/02 20:58
Author: BCM

Old rumor (not news) which was incorrect... (TAMR has been notified of the error in their posting)

Only one unit (#699) was changed to a 4400hp FDL prime mover. Others were downrated to 4400hp by computer software modification while still maintaining the HDL prime mover which can be used for up to 6000hp.

One person mentioned that the setup is now similar to what NS has on their C40-9W units which are normally operated at a restricted 4000hp (for fuel savings) but at the "flick of a switch" (upon approval from the power desk) can be operated at 4400hp if needed (as they have the same FDL engine as the C44-9Ws operated by other railroads)...

- BCM

Date: 11/15/02 07:25
Author: garyj

Thanks for the replies! They answer my question rather well.

Gary

Date: 11/15/02 10:03
Author: Runs4TheNS

Of course, there's one big thing everyone is overlooking...

CW60AC's are AC traction locomotives.

Dash 9-series locomotives are DC traction.

Derated CW60's are a lot closer to AC4400's than they'll ever be to a Dash 9-44CW.

Big difference.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds