Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Cantilevers

Date: 03/01/15 13:48
Cantilevers
Author: Southern3205

Signal Sunday related. I was wondering if there was a website or individual that may have technical drawings/blueprints for for a cantilever signal support like those utilized by the AT&SF and others. I'm mostly curious as to how heavy (dimensions) the angle stock would have been. Once I clear out enough room (with the misses permission) I may undertake recreating something similar to one of these great pieces.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
Southern 3205

Date: 03/01/15 17:06
Re: Cantilevers
Author: wabash2800

I understand the ATSF Historical society is very active with publications and may have put out something with dimensions. I have the same issue with Wabash cantilevers and have resorted to scaling form photographs for the ones I want though there is different design used by the Wabash on the ground at the Indiana transportation museum at Noblesville, Indiana that used to be at Rock Field, Indiana. I did measure and photograph it a few years ago but decided it is not typical. According to a retired Wabash signal maintainer it was rebuilt from another design brought in from on the west end of the system.

See my post on this thread with a link for a photo.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1782444,page=2

If you don't have the skill to work from brass, you might be able to work with plastic angle stock and reinforce it with wire inside the angle for support. That may be want I am going to do. There is also some small lace stock available in plastic.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 17:14 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/02/15 03:18

Thank you sir. I'm looking at possibly recreating the full size equipment, at this point I just can't make up my mind how I want to display my signals.

Date: 03/02/15 08:26
Author: wabash2800

Well, the one on the ground at Noblesville can be measured a lot easier than one put up...

Date: 03/03/15 13:03

@ Wabash,

I agree, it's also not so easy from Africa (where I'm currently working on contract) and will only have about a month home before I have to go back out on the road for another two months.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds