Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The N&W Heritage unit, and a "whoops" on CSX tracks

Date: 03/03/15 19:21
The N&W Heritage unit, and a "whoops" on CSX tracks
Author: msullivan1993

I've had a mobile radio (converted to base) on loan for a while with a basic 1/4 wave to test out at the house (waiting on the cable to come in to install a Slim Jim) and it only picks up a select section of the railroad due to my distance and the antenna, but that came in handy when I heard local shifter J15 with the NS 8103 at the point.

#1 - Stopped short of the Route 75 grade crossing at the entrance to Kenova Yard, local shifter J15 with the N&W heritage unit leading waits for permission to cross the CSX mainline to make a drop off for SunCoke Energy.

#2 - Whoops! Must have made a wrong turn at Albuquerque. While waiting for J15 to get permission across the CSX mainline to access the New Yard, an emergency call went out on the CSX dispatch channel. A semi truck trying to cross the Kanawha Sub at West 1st Street in Ceredo got hung up over the grade. Luckily, CSX MOW was nearby and the only train running was a local (H702) stopped on the other side of KV Cabin about half a mile away, so there was no imminent danger. With a quick yank from a CSX crane truck, the semi was off and on it's way again.

#3 - With the first cut of coal cars in place in the SunCoke interchange yard, J15 backs up to couple on to the second cut of cars (still sitting in the Kenova New Yard) to drag to an adjacent track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 19:21 by msullivan1993.

Date: 03/04/15 04:02
Re: The N&W Heritage unit, and a "whoops" on CSX tracks
Author: WLE2679

Nice catch on the NW unit.

Date: 03/04/15 04:41
Author: oklachaser

Nice catch & photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/04/15 04:42
Author: jmbreitigan

I like your framing in photo #3.
John

Date: 03/04/15 04:45
Author: EL-SD45-3632

That is a steep grade for a crossing, is this a posted "truck route" looks like the driver should not have been on this street. The driver should have known not to try it, but some drivers...Also, the N & W unit seems to elude most cameras because I have not seen much coverage on that unit. Cool shots too!

Date: 03/04/15 12:16
Author: ns1000

I LIKE Pic 1!!

Date: 03/04/15 12:44
Author: wcamp1472

Re Pic #2...

With apologies to Bill Engvall...
"HERE'S YOUR SIGN"

(Sign, worn around the neck "I AM STUPID"....).

Wes C.

Date: 03/04/15 15:23
Author: Out_Of_Service

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a steep grade for a crossing, is this a
> posted "truck route" looks like the driver should
> not have been on this street. The driver should
> have known not to try it, but some drivers...

AMAZING !!!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0784 seconds