Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Symbol question for NS fans

Date: 11/23/02 15:07
Symbol question for NS fans
Author: cnwjag

The Mac King and I just got back from chasing autorack train "W7Q" south on the old N&W Shenandoah Valley Line. Just wondering what that train was and where it was going. A (usually) reliable source said that it was a sybmbol for an extra 300 sries train. NS symbols tend to baffle my feeble CSX brain...just wondering if anyone had any more info.

Thanks

--jag

Date: 11/23/02 15:28
Re: Symbol question for NS fans
Author: vrsfan

Interesting indeed that a W7Q would operate as such Jag.

The 37Q (it's home symbol) is an Enola-Roanoke manifest. The "W", as you mentioned, indicates it's extra status seperate from the regalar 37Q. To catch a solid (empty) autorack train is pretty neat in these parts I'd imagine...?

So to answer you question, this isn't a regular run, consider yourself lucky to have gotten something like this on film :)

Date: 11/23/02 15:43

vrsfan wrote:

> Interesting indeed that a W7Q would operate as such Jag.
>
To catch a solid (empty) autorack train
> is pretty neat in these parts I'd imagine...?
>
> So to answer you question, this isn't a regular run, consider
> yourself lucky to have gotten something like this on film :)
>
> [%sig%]
I am by no means an expert on the Shenandoah Valley Line but I've never seen a solid rack train on it myself. I'll consider myself lucky AFTER Fuji delivers the slides back safe and sound! Thanks for the info,

--jag

Date: 11/23/02 17:19
Author: stevetimko

NS....Fans...

Steve

Date: 11/23/02 19:04
Author: mderrick

What it all boils down to is that NS doesn't have the same extra symbols like CSX, Jag. If that had been on CSX, it more than likely would have been an X200 series train. NS just uses an extra section symbol from a manifest that runs the same route, in general. Weirdest example I can recall is a BNSF runthough empty hopper train into Atlanta came in as a 700 series train. They decided to route the empties back to the BNSF at Birmingham and ran the train out via the NS Alabama Division. Since the 700 series was for a Georgia Division coal train, they changed the train ID to M91. This would be a second section of manifest 191, from Columbia, SC to Birmingham! Don't worry if you're still confused....I've got a friend in the IT dept. for NS here in Atlanta that is just as baffled as to the extra train numbering scheme.

Mike Derrick
Atlanta,GA
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Date: 11/23/02 20:11
Author: NS-33

This empty autorack train runs every so often down the valley line to some place in Virginia. I saw a notice on the YM desk the other afternoon at Hagerstown. It gave the origin and destination of the train and inbound symbol off CSX. I'm sorry to say I can't remember the destination or origin stations. It was recieved from the CSX at Hagerstown to go south. If I think of it tomorrow I will try to find out the info for you and post it when I come back in. In the past the train usually runs during the night and has no schedule days or specific symbol.

C.M.

Date: 11/23/02 21:18
If it was....
Author: CJ

...an autorack train, wouldn't it have been an extra section of a 27Q? I'm not even sure if a train of this symbol exists, but every autorack train I ever see is a 200-series train, 27V/28V for example. Not sure what exactly the "W" stands for however. I've heard of NS extra trains starting with "M"(manifest), or "I"(Intermodal), but you got me on this one.

Chris KC8UYJ

Date: 11/23/02 21:37
Author: csx6574

As we discussed earlier jag, the train probably originated on CSX at Jessup, Md. as the Q249. One day a week (roughly), it heads west to Hancock, runs around, and heads east up the old WM into Hagerstown. There NS takes it over for the run south. We plainly heard the crew and yardmaster say W7Q several times. Where does the train go after Roanoke? Very cool train to catch on the N&W...

The SD80MACKing...

Date: 11/24/02 00:19
Re: If it was....
Author: csxt4617

CJ wrote:

> ...an autorack train, wouldn't it have been an extra section
> of a 27Q? I'm not even sure if a train of this symbol exists,
> but every autorack train I ever see is a 200-series train,
> 27V/28V for example. Not sure what exactly the "W" stands for
> however. I've heard of NS extra trains starting with
> "M"(manifest), or "I"(Intermodal), but you got me on this one.
for extras sections of regular freights and
intermodals:
M=100 series, I=200 series, W=300 series, X=400
series. Autoracks run in a bunch of series. In
the Chicago area, they have 41M (ex-CR ML441),
13N, and 27V. (they have more, those are just 3
examples in different number series...)

Date: 11/24/02 08:27
Re: NS confusion

I'm glad the NS guys can admit that their numbering system is about as clear as mud. I thought I was the only one!

--jag

Date: 11/24/02 08:32

csx6574 wrote:

> As we discussed earlier jag, the train probably originated on
> CSX at Jessup, Md. as the Q249. One day a week (roughly), it
> heads west to Hancock, runs around, and heads east up the old
> WM into Hagerstown. There NS takes it over for the run south.
> We plainly heard the crew and yardmaster say W7Q several times.
> Where does the train go after Roanoke? Very cool train to catch
> on the N&W...
>
> The SD80MACKing...
>
> [%sig%]
I didn't flake on our conversation, just wanted some NS experts to back up our hypothesis...or disprove it. I think I'm even more confused now.

--jag

Date: 11/25/02 12:57
Author: NS-33

All I was able to find out this trip is the train goes to Cresent,VA.. I have no idea where that is. Don't know where the loads go either. Later.

C.M.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0719 seconds