Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Coal for New Hampshire

Date: 11/25/02 14:16
Coal for New Hampshire
Author: Bob_In_Maine

The Bow coal fired power plant near Concord NH has been receiving its coal via Guilford from sources in CSX/NS country for years. Trains always came in from the west end of the B&M, or at least up from Worcester via Ayer.

Sunday, as I was driving parallel to The Northeast Corridor in Providence RI. I spotted a PNH unit coal train. What gives? This seems like very tough (and expensive) routing.

Date: 11/25/02 14:48
Re: Coal for New Hampshire
Author: toledopatch

There have been several deliveries of foreign coal to the Port of Providence this year. As far as I know, all of this coal has been going via P&W and Guilford to the Holyoke Water Power plant at Mount Tom, Mass., but it could be that PNHX hoppers are being leased for that operation or that Bow has jumped on for a taste of overseas coal, too.

Date: 11/25/02 16:16
Author: wabash2800

Where does the "overseas coal" come from?

Date: 11/26/02 03:12
Author: cn6218

wabash2800 wrote:

> Where does the "overseas coal" come from?

I don't know about this particular coal, but NSPI has imported coal to Nova Scoatia from Venezuela, as well as Appalachian coal.

Date: 11/26/02 04:34
Author: toledopatch

The Providence coal trains are a subject of regular discussion on the P&W Yahoo! Group. It has been so long that they mentioned the coal's source, I can't remember it, but you might find the information in their archives. Originally this traffic came in through New Haven, Conn., but it shifted to Providence this year, evidently to avoid having to run the coal trains over a longer routing that included part of the Northeast Corridor.

Date: 11/26/02 15:34
Author: BrianJennison

... and the PSNH hoppers ARE being leased for this service to Mt. Tom.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds