Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Gray Morning at Powells Creek, VA

Date: 03/18/15 03:45
Gray Morning at Powells Creek, VA
Author: bandob

Leesylvania State Park, near Woodbridge, VA, is an excellent place to watch trains on the former RF&P. I was there briefly Monday, March 16 on a very gray morning. I missed the VRE rush, but did see a northbound intermodal and southbound coal train. Lots of angles of the Powells Creek bridge from along the shore. RF&P warns you to stay off the right-of-way.

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/15 03:48 by bandob.

Date: 03/18/15 03:47
Re: Gray Morning at Powells Creek, VA

Interesting variations of containers on the intermodal.

B&OB

Date: 03/18/15 03:48

I will definitely be back in nicer weather, and during the VRE rush.

B&OB

Date: 03/18/15 08:17
Author: aehouse

The initial and second (realigned) railroad rights of way between Powell's Creek on the south and Neabsco Creek on the north were granted by the landowner, former Confederate Lt. Colonel John W. Fairfax (1828-1908). Fairfax owned the property from 1847 following his parents' death that year.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 03/18/15 11:00

Lots of fascinating history in that area! Thanks.

B&OBill

Date: 03/18/15 11:54
Author: cinder

Date: 01/25/14 15:29
Re: "High on frozen juice"

Author: aehouse

The Lee/Fairfax property encompassed the land between Powell's Creek and Neabsco Creek, all the to "the telegraph road," now US 1. Lt. Col. Fairfax specified in the sale of the land for the right of way that passenger trains must stop on signal at a point specified on his property. After his death, his body was conveyed by rail to Alexandria, and then out the Washington and Old Dominion to the family plot in Leesburg's Union Cemetery.

Art House

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds