Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Train Frequency between Lynchburg and Roanoke, VA?

Date: 03/18/15 17:30
Train Frequency between Lynchburg and Roanoke, VA?
Author: cinder

Going to be in Bedford, VA for a couple of days. About how many trains does NS run in 24 hours through the area?

Date: 03/18/15 17:57
Re: Train Frequency between Lynchburg and Roanoke, VA?
Author: Tominde

Don't know about trains, but go see the National D Day Memorial/Museum.

Date: 03/18/15 19:30
Author: florida581

If I'm not mistaken, all intermodals from Norfolk and the Greensboro / Charlotte pair that run west through Roanoke go via the Blue Ridge District as opposed the parallel Altavista District because of height restrictions on the latter. With that said, Bedford will see mostly intermodal and westbound empty coal trains from Lamberts Point. I would put the 24-hour count at around 12-14 depending on the empty coal traffic.

Train Symbols:
217 Linwood - Chicago
218 Chicago - Linwood
233 Chicago - Norfolk
234 Norfolk - Chicago
236 Columbus - Norfolk
22A Norfolk - Louisville
23G Louisville - Norfolk
29G Norfolk - Detroit
Empty Lamberts Point trains use 800 series symbols.

Loaded eastbound coal trains for Lamberts Point, Hyco and Mayo, manifest and some grain trains run the Altavista District. I think the westbound empty coal trains from Hyco and Mayo also run the Altavista District.

Andrew

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/15 19:31 by florida581.

Date: 03/19/15 07:05
Author: twropr

Something else that might be worth looking into (if you have the occasion):
As part of VA's plan to extend Amtrak service to Roanoke, VA is financing improvements that will allow stack trains to run over the Altavista Dist. Don't know if any work has commenced, but it would be interesting if you get down that way to find out.

Andy

Date: 03/19/15 08:30
Author: cinder

Thanks all for this info.

Date: 03/19/15 08:55
Author: exopr

You might want to check the former N&W depot in Bedford, is a restaurant now:

http://www.oldelibertystation.com

Date: 03/21/15 06:27
Author: tp117

If AMTK is paying for double stacks Altavista to Roanoke they are being taken to the cleaners. The NW line Lynchburg to Roanoke only see about 15 trains per day and should be able to handle the oneAMTK  train each way to Roanoke. I have track charts and TTs and I think there are only two sidings on the ex-VGN Altavista to Roanoke. It is a neat mountain line with several high trestles and tunnels.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds