Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Does CSX have a GM contract???

Date: 11/30/02 18:17
Does CSX have a GM contract???
Author: Ster2Block

Got a question for anyone...

It seems to me, at least in the Sterling area, that every CSX vehicle is a Chevy.

Plus, on the New Castle Sub in Ohio, trains run to Lordstown (GM) and Parma (GM).

But back to the trucks, our signal maintainers drive Chevy's, just saw several the other day. Then the CSX police force (at least the locals) have Chevy Blazers.

Connection or coencidence?

Thanks in advance, and if it is a connection, does NS have a connection?

Tony :)
Ster2Block

Date: 11/30/02 18:25
Re: Does CSX have a GM contract???
Author: edstanley

Around Indianapolis, almost all CSX vehicles are GM. Of course, GM has a stamping plant here that moves 60+ cars per day outbound, that may have influenced CSX's fleet managers.

During Conrail, it was the same, all GM vehicles. I noticed the same on other CR Indianapolis Division areas, e.g.- Anderson, IN.

We may be noticing the "I'll scratch your back..you scratch mine" mentality..one company I worked for landed a major contract with Chrysler(pre-Benz) and suddenly more Dodge pickups, vans, etc. appeared...

MidFan

Date: 11/30/02 19:05
Author: DJ-12

As info, CSXT move BY FAR more GM vehicles than the competitors with the Pony on the side of the engine. Whether that influences the lease fleet folks down in Jax I cannot say.

Date: 11/30/02 19:17
Author: xnj

Here's a twist..
Why no new EMD orders then (?) since it's been known that the last time the contract for GM came due they (CSX) purchased SD70MAC's under pressure by GM.

Date: 11/30/02 20:22
Author: emdgealc

Unless I am mistaken, CSX does not own its vehicles, they are leased

This way the vehicles only cost for the rental

There is a contract service dealer that comes in and services the vehicles.

Date: 11/30/02 21:48
Fleet vehicles
Author: Pj

When you purchase fleet vehicles in quanity, its rather inexpensive. For the most part, there are no options or luxury items in these vehicles. Sometimes a CD player, but usually just AM/FM. Rubber floors, etc etc.

What is even better is that when leased or on a lease/buy arraingement, they are usually serviced at no cost to the leasee and are for the most part serviced very well.

What's even better is that they usually still get a good resale value.

Date: 12/01/02 08:09
Author: pennsylmania

GM is CSXTs largest customer. All CSX employees are eligible for a discount when purchasing a vehicle from GM, I think it is around 10-15% discount. This would explain the CSX fleet of GM vehicles for MOW, security, etc. As for the EMD locomotives CSX has not been very happy with EMD ever since the order for Chessie/Seaboard SD50s in the 80's. Too bad too, the EMDs are a much better product.
Dave-former CSX conductor

Date: 12/01/02 08:28
Author: mobileunit

as far as engines go. the csx sd70mac's are terrible. they are like no other emd product. the sd70's that the up have are fine, kinda like a modern day sd40-2.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds