Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > B&LE: Tunnel Motor Finale??

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/23/15 20:28
B&LE: Tunnel Motor Finale??
Author: DJ-12

With the gradual incursion of 3 CN SD's over the past year, motive power change finally started to come to the CN's Bessemer Sub. That change appears to be in full swing with the ongoing delivery of 6 former IC SD70's to the property. Rumors and speculation are that as these units are placed in service, CN will phase out the remaining 900 series tunnel motors on the p[property in favor of this newer power. At this point, only 5 remain on the property, (901, 905, 908, 907, 910). With this news circulating, I made a point to get out and document what may be some of the last days of B&LE power in road service on the railroad.
1. Saturday was pretty gloomy around here, so I only made a short jaunt up to Butler to catch the Butler Local, the short scrap train that runs a few times a week from Shenango down to switch the AK Steel plant and handle whatever other bit of remaining local work exists on this end of the railroad (not much). Here they are at Butler Transfer, shoving their short train southward towards the mill.
2. That was just the warmup act for Sunday, which ended up being cold, but clear as a bell. I headed for the B&LE's home base in Greenville, arriving just as the morning northbound Conneaut turn was leaving town with empty hoppers. My first shot was from the overpass at Osgood as the train roared up the Low Line.
3. A quick sprint up to KO (the CN calls it Sandy Jct, but its still KO to me) allowed for another shot. The B&LE Gods (or perhaps more likely a shop employee with a sense for history) were kind to us this day, as the ratty CN 5347 was swapped off of this consist in favor of the B&LE 910 before this Sunday morning run, allowing B&LE leaders for both directions of the run to Conneaut Harbor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/15 21:07 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 03/23/15 20:34
Re: B&LE: Tunnel Motor Finale??
Author: cinder

Man that is great photography!

Date: 03/23/15 20:36

4. The cold, below freezing weather made for clear, crisp skies and fortunately froze up all the dirt roads needed to traverse the hinterlands in time to reach the grade crossing in the middle of MD Siding..with the spring melt about to start, the whole area will soon be a muddy mess, but it still offered a bit of snow hanging on this day as the 901 north roared through.
5. Several other fans were out, and I chatted with a couple at the crossing at Keepville, PA before the train showed up, closing in on Conneaut.
6. One could really tell we've had a brutally cold winter by the gigantic ice chunks lining Conneaut Creek. High water from the big thaw lifted them into the bottoms across from the railroad, making for an adventure getting into position for the classic shot along the creek as the train rolled towards the harbor around the bend.

Date: 03/23/15 20:43

7. While the train worked the yard, I refueled my vehicle and grabbed lunch. After shooting a CSX train in town, I rolled back down to Conneaut Creek to wait for the B&LE to come back south. Luck was in my favor, as they pulled out just far enough while doubling their train to allow an over/under shot with NS 22K going over top on the former NKP. Finally achieved that prize, after only maybe 15 years of trying!
8 & 9: Pulling out of the harbor, and crossing Conneaut Creek to start up the Hogback with 120 loads of stone and ore and 137 hard miles between here and North Bessemer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/15 20:44 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 03/23/15 20:49

The southward chase was now in full swing. While easier with a loaded train, its certainly never been leisurely.
10. Pennside, PA
11. Agnew Rd near Harmonsburg as the train claws of the grade, with sand flying towards MD north.
12. Rolling at track speed again from the overpass just below MD South at Shermasville, PA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/15 20:50 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 03/23/15 20:58
Author: SF5953

Great shots! That you for going out and getting the last days.

Date: 03/23/15 20:59

13. The classic shot coming across the swamp at Hartstown.
14. Across the fields south of Adamsville as they come towards KO/Sandy Jct for a crew change.
15. I decided on one last shot after the crew change as they rolled across the big viaduct at Osgood on the High Line, notching out for the uphill climb to Kremis.  I'd have loved to have continued south, but I had promised my wife I wouldn't be home too late, and I was frankly ready to call it a day.

With 2 of the SD70's reportedly already on the property and more set to show up this week, its hard to predict what the future may hold as far as power is concerned, but if this is indeed the end of the line for the big beefy tunnel motors, they gave those of us who were out and about on Sunday quite a show for their finale.

Thanks for looking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/15 21:00 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 03/23/15 21:13
Author: cinder

Sorry to jump your sequence there Mike......IOTD in there somewhere!

Date: 03/23/15 21:36
Author: krm152

Looks like B&LE's tunnel motors now have the affection of railfans that the "Kaylor F Units" had years ago.
ALLEN  

Date: 03/23/15 22:55
Author: californiarails

Awesome series documenting these beasts! Great catch on photo 7 with the over-under opportunity.

Jonathan

Date: 03/24/15 02:22
Author: SDP40F600

They are all good images, but I really liked No. 7. Getting lucky like that has been on my "to do" list for a long time.

Date: 03/24/15 04:32
Author: agrafton

Fantastic images and location shots and narrative Mike, several shots have that exclusive PittsburghMike flare to them that I associate with.
It's almost like how can you top this effort and photos of an iconic railroad. Thanks for sharing.
Alan 

Date: 03/24/15 04:44
Author: sharris

If it is the end you can at least say that your coverage over the years has been nothing short of spectacular. Well done recording a predictable, yet difficult, to document railroad!

SH

Date: 03/24/15 04:50
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!! Thanks for posting.

Date: 03/24/15 05:04

Thanks gents. The Bessemer has always been a fascinating operation to me because of how it still fills a crucial element of the supply chain for the steel industry, albeit in a reduced manner from the "glory days" which came to an end when I was just a wee lad. That and the unique, bold orange paint scheme amongst a sea of black, and blue. Obviously the tonnage wil still roll, but if the TMs go, it won't be the same.

Date: 03/24/15 05:24
Author: bridgeportsub

Fantastic shots there Mike.Looks like you had a great day.

Randy

Date: 03/24/15 05:27
Author: NKP715

Excellent coverage, as always !

Date: 03/24/15 05:31
Author: cr2581

Outstanding pix as always Mike. Glad I was able to do this at least once while the tunnel motors ruled ......

Date: 03/24/15 06:23
Author: resqjon

Nicely done as always!  Glad you got great weather for this event!

Jon

Date: 03/24/15 06:26
Author: oklachaser

Great photos!!

Ronda Thomas

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0901 seconds