Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Georgia. Southern. Southern. Georgia. Now we all know each other

Date: 03/25/15 18:06
Georgia. Southern. Southern. Georgia. Now we all know each other
Author: NSTopHat

As I dropped my son off at daycare this morning, I got a call that the NS / Southern #3170 SD40 was near the depot in Gainesville, GA, which totally shifted my schedule for what would end up being the entire day. I knew that NS #237 was going to be coming during the back half of the day with the NS #8101 (Central of Georgia) unit leading. The day was to be overcast in the am giving way to mostly sunny skies, which, the forecasters failed miserably to correctly project, as it was mostly overcast for the day with a couple of spots of brief sun.

Image #1 - NS #154 lead by a trio of NS units passed NS #3170

Image #2 - Shortly after lunch, NS #3170 attracts the company stalker, ... err photographer, Casey Thomason.

Image #3 - A wide view of NS #3170

One more set to come....

Russ

Date: 03/25/15 18:16
Re: Georgia. Southern. Southern. Georgia. Now we all know each ot

NS had a super rail gang out on single track mainline between Tugalo (MP 542.1) and Hunter (MP 533.8), so traffic was slower than normal.

Image #4 - When traffic is slow and sunny spots are brief and few and far between, everyone wants to get in on a 'quality' angle.

Image #5 - My version of the 'quality' angle with a reflection in some recent rain water.

Image #6 - NS #237 finally breaks through the work zones and approaches Midland (MP585.0) just south of the Gainesville, GA depot at 4:50 pm. At this point in time there were probably 15 other rail fans within 50 yards of me. This would have been better, had we had more sun, but how many chances are we going to get with this pair together.

Hope you enjoyed.

Russ

Date: 03/25/15 18:29
Author: tomstp

Is that a flag holder on 3170?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/15 18:29 by tomstp.

Date: 03/25/15 18:32

No, it is a walkway light. The unit retained its five walkway lights. It also has a 5 chime on the front end (LHF) and a three chime on the rear. Sorry I am not a horn guy to be better able to tell you which type is which. They did also add an all weather window to the engineers' side of the cab.

Russ

Date: 03/25/15 18:45
Author: dschlegel

That reflection shot is pretty neat!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/26/15 04:30
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice series Russ, the reflection shot of 3170 is nice. Cool how you caught the 3170 & Casey. 
John

Date: 03/26/15 04:38
Author: strench707

Nathan P5 and Nathan P3.

Date: 03/26/15 09:43
Author: TrackGuy

Does anyone know if NS has any further heritage repaints in the works or was this a one of a kind repaint?

TrackGuy

Date: 03/26/15 13:34
Author: PennRailVideos

There is a flag holder on the cab, and probably one on the long hood.

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that a flag holder on 3170?

Date: 03/27/15 01:31
Author: Cjcheely

Hello

What does the W under and to the right of the number mean?

Chris

Date: 03/27/15 03:09
Author: ctillnc

Date: 03/28/15 11:27
Author: ns1000

NICE pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds