Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS vs. City of Alexandria, VA (again)

Date: 03/26/15 20:51
NS vs. City of Alexandria, VA (again)
Author: bradleymckay

See here:

http://alexandriava.gov/news_display.aspx?id=83598

The key sentence:

"Despite the City’s litigation against Norfolk Southern and other efforts to block or curtail the facility through various local, state,
and federal means, the courts have ruled that the interstate commerce provisions of federal law preempt the City’s authority to regulate
railroad operations in the same manner the City regulates other land uses".

Allen

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/15 20:53 by bradleymckay.

Date: 03/26/15 22:46
Re: NS vs. City of Alexandria, VA (again)
Author: MEKoch

You have to understand that this is the Washington, DC area, and these bureaucrats in Alexandria cannot imagine that their city government does not have complete and total control over all aspects of life. 

Date: 03/27/15 01:51
Author: reel_smooth

From the article:

Members of City Council have previously stated their belief that “Norfolk Southern acted irresponsibly in locating this facility in a residential neighborhood.” 

Ok, so, I'm not always the brightest light bulb in the box, but, if the area is zoned for residential, how does an industrial facility like this get put in place? Understand, I do not know the area or layout where this is; I'm just trying to understand how it happens. Or, is the city council not quite telling the truth about it being in a "residential neighborhood"? Trying to figure out if they have a legitimate beef or just playing the NIMBY card.

Date: 03/27/15 05:05
Author: csxape7

the neighborhood grew up around the facility.  the former ns piggyback yard, now being used as an ethanol transfer facility, became surrounded by
residential development after Cameron station closed and the blue line van dorn st. metrorail station opened. 

csxape7  

Date: 03/27/15 07:52
Author: mbrotzman

In theory aren't bars just a form of ethanol transloading facility?

Date: 03/27/15 08:37
Author: Lackawanna484

How is NS making out with the industrial branch to the old power facility in Alexandria?  There was some question about the ownership of the (now very valuable) dock and the right of way into the plant.

Date: 03/27/15 08:58
Author: strench707

Operations have unfortunately long been ceased on the Branch into town but I have not heard anything regarding removal at this time.

Date: 03/27/15 15:51
Author: knotch8

csxape7 is correct.  This used to be nothing but industrial and a military-storage facility.  What he refers to as Cameron station was the old military-supply depot, actually called Cameron Station (two capital letters).  It was a large facility, in use from the Civil War until the '70s, when it was demolished and converted to apartments and townhouses.  And the railroad had been there serving the industry for 150 years. What's now the ethanol-transfer facility had been used before as Southern/Norfolk Southern's intermodal facility for Alexandria.  There was (and might still be) a gravel-loading facility on the opposite side of the tracks from the intermodal yard/ethanol-transfer facility.

Date: 03/27/15 16:31
Author: NSTopHat

mbrotzman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In theory aren't bars just a form of ethanol
> transloading facility?

Where's the LIKE button?

Date: 03/27/15 17:07
Author: Lackawanna484

knotch8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> csxape7 is correct.  This used to be nothing but
> industrial and a military-storage facility.  What
> he refers to as Cameron station was the old
> military-supply depot, actually called Cameron
> Station (two capital letters).  It was a large
> facility, in use from the Civil War until the
> '70s, when it was demolished and converted to
> apartments and townhouses.  And the railroad had
> been there serving the industry for 150 years.
> What's now the ethanol-transfer facility had been
> used before as Southern/Norfolk Southern's
> intermodal facility for Alexandria.  There was
> (and might still be) a gravel-loading facility on
> the opposite side of the tracks from the
> intermodal yard/ethanol-transfer facility.

Was this also the location of the sawmill, wood chipping plant along the NS?  Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, the facility was a particular bane of neighbors. Although some lived blocks away, the noise, sawdust, etc offended many folks.

Date: 03/27/15 21:20
Author: hoydie17

This is Alexandria... slowly but surely they've put a stranglehold on all industry in the city limits.  New housing developments still find space to start construction despite open land being scarce.  The Mirant power station down by the waterfront was closed obviously due to age and its non-compliance with ever-tightening regulations by the EPA; but that was preceded by the locals in brand new condos and townhouses raising holy hell about late night switching by NS coal trains. 

I remember reading one article in the Washington Times about a local "community leader" that argued that Old Towne wasn't a freight yard, and the railroad didn't need to be switching after 6pm.  A railroad official joyously pointed out to said community leader that the property was in fact, a freight yard and had been long before anyone thought of building houses down there. 

I can't begin to imagine why NS wanted an ethanol transload facility in that particular location.  That has to be a nightmare for drivers to get in and out of given how traffic on Pickett and Van Dorn Street can be at almost any time of day.

Date: 03/27/15 21:44
Author: reel_smooth

Thanks to everyone for the insight.

Date: 03/28/15 06:40
Author: strench707

The gravel operation is still going right by Van Dorn as far as I know.  Usually a daylight and a night train.  I would have much preferred to keep the trailer ramp with scheduled daily runs over the as needed ethanol operation but we have to be happy with what he can get.  Hopefully NS will hold their ground here.  With any other big customer losses I wouldn't be surprised if they turned the line North of Manassas over to the state.  Sigh...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds