Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS 3528 Louisville/Southern Indiana Question

Date: 02/01/03 02:08
NS 3528 Louisville/Southern Indiana Question
Author: corydonjunction

Anyone up for a joy ride? NS dropped B32-8 #3528 on the Corydon Junction tracks Friday morning. As of Saturday morning, 6am, it is still just sitting there idleing away. I live about 1/4 mile from the junction and have just felt the rumble of this engine sitting there for 24 hours unmanned. Anyone with insiders at NS let me know why it has been dropped. Give me a few more hours with Microsoft Train Sim and I\'ll be ready to go down there and take a private excursion!! Any ideas on why a running engine would be left for so long?????

Thanks

Mr. Corydon Junction
LNAC Fan

Date: 02/01/03 02:59
Grain train, maybe
Author: fmw

The engine is running because the temperature is below freezing. Locos mainly use plain water instead of antifreeze. On CSX we often see engines left out for a day or two because the grain dept. has positioned it near an elevator for a grain train. Another reason is it might have a mechanical failure like a hot box and was set out so the train could proceed at speed. Railroads take days to figure out who must deal with these problems before fixing them.

Date: 02/01/03 03:10
Re: Grain train, maybe
Author: peachfuzz

As for joy riding. Look closely at the doors. You will no doubt note switch locks securing each one. Good luck trying to remove one of these $150 Sargent & Greenleaf serious locks.

Date: 02/01/03 06:10
Re: Grain train, maybe
Author: garyj

We get motors left running in the yard all the time. There are no locks on the doors, and the reverser handles are left on.

It\'s just not worth the trouble you could cause or get into.

Gary

Date: 02/01/03 10:22
Thanks
Author: corydonjunction

I was just kidding about the joy ride!!

It must be a hot box or some other mechanical failure. How long will they leave it idleing before it runs out of fuel or gets repaired???

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds