Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Even an Engineer Has to Eat Once in a While

Date: 07/28/15 02:23
Even an Engineer Has to Eat Once in a While
Author: SDP40F600

I made and have posted a number of photographs of Nickel Plate Road 765 operating in Northeast Ohio last week as part of the Norfolk Southern 21st Century steam program. This image is one of my favorites and shows the engineer of the 765 grabbing a bite to eat as the train waits in Ashtabula, Ohio, for a new pilot crew and for an opposing NS freight train to clear. For more photos of the train crew, go the Steam Board at http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3804342

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/15 02:23 by SDP40F600.

Date: 07/28/15 05:59
Re: Even an Engineer Has to Eat Once in a While
Author: agrafton

a little to personal ?

Date: 07/28/15 06:17
Author: trkspd

I'd sure love a picture of me eating posted on the internet, no shame and all.

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

Date: 07/28/15 07:00
Author: joeygooganelli

I see a new source of revenue for the 765 group:

Imagine a commercial----"Subway, Eat Fresh!........Wait a minute. Sandwiches made the old fashioned way. Subways are so impersonal. How about the new Steam Engine grinders! Delivering old fashioned goodness!" -tm by me

-Joe

Date: 07/28/15 08:20
Not appropriate
Author: mp208

You are invading the engineer's personal space.  Engineers also relieve themselves on the walkway behind the cab door......been there done that.  (in 10mph slow orders).  That is also personal space.

Date: 07/28/15 11:10
Re: Not appropriate
Author: EH49

I thought if you take a picture of someone, and post it on Internet, you really need their permission. 

Date: 07/28/15 11:21
Author: NSClevelandLine

mp208 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are invading the engineer's personal space. 
> Engineers also relieve themselves on the walkway
> behind the cab door......been there done that.
>  (in 10mph slow orders).  That is also personal
> space.

So if the engine was moving it'd no longer be his personal space? You guys try and nit pick everything on this site...

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/15 11:33
Author: EH49

The engineer is human, like all humans he has to eat. What is so interesting about a pic of him eating a sandwich? I really see no point in this thread at all.

Date: 07/28/15 11:45
Author: CCMF

People pictures are much more fun than train pictures, particularly on a foamer trip with 3-4 guys.  :-)

To answer whether you need permission to post someone's photo on the internet, absolutely not save for commercial use, or where they have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (in a public place you are fair game).

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 07/28/15 12:20
Author: NKP715

I 100% agree that this photograph should not have been published,
on this site, or any other media.  It's one thing to see an employee
in the cab as train passes, but this goes way beyond that. 

Date: 07/28/15 12:36
Author: trkspd

How much fun would a picture of you stuffing your face be, when it is posted on the internet?

CCMF Wrote:
> People pictures are much more fun than train
> pictures, particularly on a foamer trip with 3-4
> guys.  :-)
>
> To answer whether you need permission to post
> someone's photo on the internet, absolutely not
> save for commercial use, or where they have a
> "reasonable expectation of privacy" (in a public
> place you are fair game).

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

Date: 07/28/15 14:26
Author: SP4360

The days of Max Headroom are here, get over it. There is no more personal space, thanks to UNsocial Media, where all your bodily functions are now public.  Years ago, it was nothing for a pic to be posted of someone doing their job. Now, everything is this PC bullshit, invading space crap, etc. If you don't like what someone posts, keep your mouth shut and move on. Personally, I could care less if someone took my pic, at least I am doing my job, or a part of it, not like a bunch that would rather whine, snivel, complain or bitch about someone's shot. It's a human interest shot, this guy aloing with everyone  in the cab work their butts off so YOU can get a shot along the road. Are you paying to ride, more than likely not, but YOU are the first one to bitch. 

Date: 07/28/15 15:13
Author: agentatascadero

My vote is in favor of this shot, AND of it's posting.  This one somehow reminds me of some of the great images from the past of guys in the Steve Lee group messing around......and especially of the Steve Lee/Doyle Mc Cormack groups gbetting really goofy.  I'd call this a really nice human interest image.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/28/15 17:20
appropriate
Author: DrLoco

As a locomotive engineer that also likes food, i approve of this image.  You aren't invading his privacy.  He's the engineer on a steam engine, there |S no privacy, he is the most public figure of the NKP steam crew, and the NS and sitting in the cab of the engine.  I assume and expect that what I do will be recorded.  He assumes the same.  Now, if you were to follow him to his car and then to his house and photograph dinnertime through his dining room window, that would be inappropriate.  See the difference?  Railroads are very visible and employees are taught to behave and act judiciously when in the public eye.  At home, it's obviously another story...

Date: 07/28/15 17:23
Author: agentatascadero

This was interesting to me.....over on the steam board is a thread titled "These guys make the NKP 765 go", and I admit it may not be an exact quote.  The point is that this very photo is a part of a very nice photo essay about the 765 team, and included posts from members of the team.  NOWHERE was there any criticism of the posting of that photo.  If the 765 team is OK with it, why the negativity from the membership?  I like candid photos or railroaders at work, or at rest, for that matter.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/28/15 20:08
Author: SP4360

agentatascadero Wrote:

If the 765 team is OK
> with it, why the negativity from the membership? 
> I like candid photos or railroaders at work, or at
> rest, for that matter.  AA

That's what seems to be what some do best. 

Date: 07/28/15 21:32
Author: wa4umr

Great people picture.  I vote for "It's OK to post it."  It's one of those times when the crew has a few minutes to sit back and relax and have a bite to eat.  It's something we all do and he just happens to be sitting in a classic steam locomotive.  What if he stepped out of the cab and poured a bit of water over his head to cool off?  That would be a human interest event because it's a hot job and they guy is just cooling off. How many other pictures have been posted here with a railroader relaxing for a minute.  When this picture was taken I would suppose that there were dozens of people (railfans) around watching the action in and around the cab.  

On the other hand, when the guy punches the clock and goes home or takes care of a nature call or maybe talking to the boss about a possible problem, then things change.

John

Date: 07/29/15 13:47
Author: CCMF

trkspd, I think we are talking apples and oranges.  Whether or not something is "fun" is not necessarily the same as "legal".  Obviously by the replies herein the jury is out on the first aspect.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0776 seconds