Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fatality at the Frontier Yard Buffalo NY

Date: 02/18/03 17:35
Fatality at the Frontier Yard Buffalo NY
Author: kevin157

Sorry to report that there was another railyard fatality today in Buffalo. The man, described as 52 years old, a 30 year yard veteran, and a very kind and gentle man, was accidentally killed when he somehow became stuck between two boxcars, one moving and one not at the CSX Frontier Yard at around 1PM today. The yard was shut down for several hours as the accident was investigated. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Date: 02/18/03 17:40
Re: Fatality at the Frontier Yard Buffalo NY
Author: Throttle_JCKY

My thoughts and prayers to his family and co-workers.

Date: 02/18/03 19:33
Author: locoengineer

R.I.P. Brother, R.I.P.

Rick

Date: 02/18/03 23:22
Author: seaboardmike

im sad as i write this enough is enough! we the employees are inpowered to make decesions and not to be rushed to get the job done!!!we have lost two brothers this week alone.i dont know the circumstances about these two people who lost there lives but it should stop now!!my sympathies to all of these men families and coworkers.RIP.

Date: 02/18/03 23:25
Author: Runs4TheNS

seaboardmike wrote:

> im sad as i write this enough is enough! we the employees are
> inpowered to make decesions and not to be rushed to get the job
> done!!!we have lost two brothers this week alone.i dont know
> the circumstances about these two people who lost there lives
> but it should stop now!!my sympathies to all of these men
> families and coworkers.RIP.

Mike,

I agree 100%... it\'s actually been FOUR conductors killed in the past week. 1 on BNSF, 1 on CN/IC, and two on CSX. That\'s four too many...

Date: 02/18/03 23:40
Author: allblack

You know what\'s funny? The officials (on my pike anyway) don\'t tell us the details of accidents like this. I guess they have lawyers telling them to keep mumm. Too bad they care more about cheating the widow out of a few dollars than preventing a repeat tragedy. We had a switchman, poor fellow, go under the wheels awhile back and the bosses won\'t tell us how it happened, even when asked directly.

But really the bottom line is that one must do EVERYTHING in their power to prevent serious injury to themselves. Then hope others are doing their part and that the equipment doesn\'t fail. Switching will never be perfectly safe but it can be a whole lot better.

Date: 02/19/03 07:06
Full Story...
Author: punxyspatcher

TRAGEDY
Rail worker crushed to death
By VANESSA THOMAS and T.J. PIGNATARO
News Staff Reporters
2/19/2003

A local railroad conductor was crushed to death Tuesday afternoon when he apparently became pinned between two boxcars near Union Road and Broadway in Cheektowaga.
Patrick Armstrong, 50, had almost three decades of service at CSX Transportation and was from the Buffalo area, according to CSX officials.

Firefighters who responded to the scene said Armstrong was working on a train at 1:15 p.m. at Ellicott Road, just east of Union, when the accident occurred.

A CSX official, who did not want to be identified, said Armstrong was crushed when wedged between a standing boxcar and one being backed onto a service spur to a Walden Avenue business. "It appears as though he was pinned in between two cars," according to a Forks Fire District firefighter, who assisted at the scene. "He had severe crushing injuries."

Armstrong was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics from Rural/Metro Ambulance.

Armstrong\'s co-workers summoned help from the nearby Forks fire station. The CSX official said a brakeman and engineer were working along with Armstrong at the time.

Five firefighters raced to the scene but "there was nothing we could do," said the firefighter, who did not want to be identified.

A CSX safety official, who said the railroad was still trying to piece together what happened, called Armstrong "one of our best employees."

"We\'d like to express our sincere condolences for the family and friends of Mr. Armstrong," said Misty Skipper, a CSX spokeswoman. "It\'s a tragic, tragic event that\'s occurred."

CSX and Cheektowaga police are investigating.

e-mail: vthomas@buffnews.com
and tpignataro@buffnews.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0613 seconds