Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Help regarding railfanning the NEC North-ish of Baltimore

Date: 08/30/15 05:03
Help regarding railfanning the NEC North-ish of Baltimore
Author: rainbowhasabeard

Hello Friends!
I am planning a small roadtrip from Ohio to Maryland (or thereabout) to take my sons railfanning along the Northeast Corridor. The primary goal is to see and photograph some Acelas. 

Can anyone out there recommend some spots, probably just north of Baltimore - where we can get a clear view of the tracks, where it is safe, ideally just a pleasant place to chill ... that-kind-of-thing?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Date: 08/30/15 05:18
Re: Help regarding railfanning the NEC North-ish of Baltimore
Author: TrainStalker

Perryville, where the NEC crosses the mouth of the Susquehanna River, is a nice, safe, bridge shot.  The other side of the river, Havre de Grace, also offers good angles.  These are all water-level shots looking up, but it's a nice, expansive view.  There are a lot of great places to eat and relax along the riverfront while waiting for trains to cross.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 06:35 by TrainStalker.

Date: 08/30/15 05:25
Author: toledopatch

That's my off-the-top-of-my-head recommendation, too.

There are also long, low bridges closer to Baltimore across the Bush and Gunpowder rivers, but I don't know how accessible they are these days for people without access to boats.

Date: 08/30/15 05:32
Author: elsdp45

The Martins Airport MARC station is good on a weekend. Great line of sight either direction and Amtrak can hit top speed here.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/30/15 06:02
Author: ClubCar

elsdp45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Martins Airport MARC station is good on a
> weekend. Great line of sight either direction and
> Amtrak can hit top speed here.
>
> Posted from iPhone
As a person who lives nearby in White Marsh, Maryland, I too recomend  the MARC Train Station off Eastern Avenue across the street from the Martin's Airport.  A large parking lot and even on weekdays there are usually a parking spot or two.  I have been there with my grandchildren many times and it is safe and you can sit on the waiting platform right next to the tracks.

John.

Date: 08/30/15 06:46
Author: rainbowhasabeard

Sounds PERFECT! Thanks guys!

Date: 08/30/15 07:04
Author: Out_Of_Service

Princeton Jct ... MP 47.4 135mph Amtrak plus NJT Regional Rail EMUs ... NJT station stop ... nice straightaway both directions ...

Holmesburg Jct MP77.1 125mph Amtrak plus Septa Local Regional Rail EMUs ... Septa station stop plus CR local weekday freight trains ... interlocking junction with a nice straightaway in one direction and a sweeping curve in the other direction with a huge stone wall prison (empty) as a backdrop ...

Date: 08/30/15 08:46
Author: boejoe

Another couple items about the Perryville station to consider are: I believe that during the week some MARC trains terminate/originate there with service south to/from Baltimore and D.C. (perhaps suggesting a round trip ride if the schedule permits) and there is a wye leading to the Norfolk Southern line to Columbia and Enola PA that might see limited action during daylight hours (e.g. crude oil trains to Delaware).  I think there is a model railroad club/layout/museum inside the station but check on availability.  Beware of Acelas passing at speed if you are standing on the platform.

Date: 08/30/15 09:21

the speed over the bridge at Perryville is 90mph so you're not getting the full effect of the Acelas at speed ...

Date: 08/30/15 10:52
Author: toledopatch

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> the speed over the bridge at Perryville is 90mph
> so you're not getting the full effect of the
> Acelas at speed ...

On the other hand, it's at least an hour closer to Baltimore than Princeton Junction, New Jersey is....

Date: 08/30/15 13:03

toledopatch Wrote:
> Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > the speed over the bridge at Perryville is
> 90mph
> > so you're not getting the full effect of the
> > Acelas at speed ...
>
> On the other hand, it's at least an hour closer to
> Baltimore than Princeton Junction, New Jersey
> is....

yeah not surprisingly, i lost my "TRAIN" of thought of him specifying Maryland ...

losing my train of thought seems to be occurring at a more than normal rate as i get older ...

Date: 08/30/15 13:05

toledopatch Wrote:
> Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > the speed over the bridge at Perryville is
> 90mph
> > so you're not getting the full effect of the
> > Acelas at speed ...
>
> On the other hand, it's at least an hour closer to
> Baltimore than Princeton Junction, New Jersey
> is....

yeah not surprisingly, i lost my "TRAIN" of thought of him specifying Maryland ... however there is a 135mph section north of Perryville ...

losing my train of thought seems to be occurring at a more than normal rate as i get older ...

Date: 08/30/15 14:48
Author: RFandPFan

Edgewood, MD station is a goodspot to catch them at speed.

Date: 08/30/15 15:39
Author: Lackawanna484

Perryville MD, although a decent distance from Bawlmer, also offers a chance at NS heritage units to  Delaware City. Assumng the refinery is back in service.

Date: 08/30/15 18:17
Author: bigmc83

Perryville, MD will provide you great Acela views, though not at full speed.  You will get a chance to possibly see some freight traffic turning from the Port Road onto the NEC.  If you go  further north to Newark, DE you will also get to see Amtrak at speed.  Standing on the historic Newark station platform while an Amtrak train screams by on the near track (4 track?) will get your heart pounding (just stand way back by the station wall!).  You might also see some freight traffic from nearby Chrysler yard.  Enjoy your visit!

Sean McCaffery
Bel Air, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds