Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sciotoville,Ohio Tressle

Date: 09/01/15 14:58
Sciotoville,Ohio Tressle
Author: scoobydoobydoo

How many trains a day cross the ohio river here,Are they all NS or CSX....Scoob

Date: 09/01/15 15:10
Re: Sciotoville, Ohio Bridge
Author: toledopatch

The bridge at Sciotoville carries CSX's Northern Subdivision, ex-C&O, across the Ohio River. Under normal operations CSX is the only user.

Date: 09/01/15 17:17
Author: mtarnett

As a native of Sciotoville, I recall said bridge being referenced as the Limeville (KY) bridge. However, I left the "ville" over 20 years ago and it may be referenced as something different now.

Todd Arnett

Posted from Android

Date: 09/01/15 17:27
Author: tp117

The most magnificent bridge in North America. Technically not a trestle, but a twin continuous truss bridge, the largest ever built. (Plowden, Bridges, the Spans of North America) designed by Gustav Lindenthal, who also built Hell Gate Bridge. It has never had the train density to match it's grandeur, maybe twenty a day.

Date: 09/01/15 19:30
Author: toledopatch

I've seen it identified by both Limeville and Sciotoville, but agree that it's not a trestle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/15 19:31 by toledopatch.

Date: 09/01/15 21:43
Author: aussiehinz

A target of Nazi saboteurs during World War II, because of its important tonnage to industrial areas in the Midwest.

Date: 09/01/15 23:41
Re: Sciotoville,Ohio Tressle
Author: prr4828

For those "not qualified" on this part of CSX, I found a webpage with photos of the bridge:
http://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/photos.php?bridgebrowser=ohio/sciotoville/&gallerynum=1&gallerysize=3

* JB *

Date: 09/02/15 00:00
Author: Appalachianrails

When I think of Limeville, I associate it with NJ Cabin. When I think of Sciotoville, I associate it with the bridge.

Date: 09/02/15 00:55
Author: stormhighway

When I was in high school, I built a (compressed in length) balsa wood model of this bridge for a 4' NMRA module used in a local club's layout.   I was always impressed by the bridge as a child after numerous readings of the book "Chessie's Road" in my grandfather's railroad book library, and visited it once as a teenager. The book called it the Limeville Bridge (though sometimes called Sciotoville) and showed it with a C&O T1 leading a train.  I think the bridge model may still be stowed away in my parents' attic.

Date: 09/02/15 04:55
Author: Jimbo

scoobydoobydoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many trains a day cross the ohio river
> here,Are they all NS or CSX....Scoob

NS crosses the Ohio River on the former N&W bridge at Kenova, WV.

Date: 09/02/15 06:04
Author: CGTower

The C&O does cross the N&W at that location as well...and the N&W has a small through truss bridge crossing the Little Scioto River nearly underneath Limeville Bridge.

CG Tower

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds