Home Open Account Help 154 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Often Unheralded, The Track Dept's Good Work

Date: 09/01/15 19:07
Often Unheralded, The Track Dept's Good Work
Author: ut-1

Here we have the New York, Susquehanna & Western's Track Dep't working on a major crossing replacement job in Utica, NY on August 22, 2015. The railroad replaced a 30+ year-old "Red Hawk" rubber crossing with concrete panels weighing approx 4.5 tons each. The panels were manufactured by a plant in Easton, Pa.

The railroad began prepping for this project approx 10 days in advance. Utica's Genesee St, the city's main artery, was closed 4 days, 1 day longer than originally contemplated.

The crew worked approx 13 hours the first day, right up until 8pm. It was very interesting watching them work,

I hope you find this video showcasing the hard work of the track crew both interesting and informative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/15 19:49 by ut-1.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/01/15 19:49
Re: Often Unheralded, The Track Dept's Good Work
Author: BaltoJoey

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Date: 09/01/15 23:03
Author: wa4umr

That claw at about 0:40 made me sick.  Last weekend my son and I loaded 6 old ties into my truck and 4 more into his.  No Claw.  No tie tongs even.  Just a pair of gloves, a strong back (his) and a weak mind (mine.) Old ties still weigh about a hernia and a half.  My son is going to build a platform for a target stand and a bullet stop out of them.  They should slow down a bullet a bit.  

BTW, we had permission from the forman to take the ties.  They had a bunch of them and were going to eventually send a truck to pick them up.  They have some of those concrete things laying around also and will be replacing a crossing in the near future.

Thanks for taking the time to record that and share it with us.

John

Date: 09/02/15 12:11
Author: ns1000

BaltoJoey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very interesting, thanks for posting.

AGREED....!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0288 seconds