Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Southern Indiana Railfanning

Date: 09/02/15 18:37
Southern Indiana Railfanning
Author: Ohiorailfan

Im thinking about a trip to Southern Indiana. What are good times and locations to see Indiana Railroad, Louisville and Indiana, Savtran, all the cool stuff. Also where can I see when and where can I see NS Coal train 439. Ill have 2 full days. Sorry about all thr questions.

Thanks for any info!

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 19:27 by Ohiorailfan.

Date: 09/02/15 19:10
Re: Southern Indiana Railfanning
Author: wa4umr

I drove from Louisville to Seymour, In. today, mostly on US-31.  After I left Jeffersonville, Other than the yard in Jeffersonville, I didn't see a train until I passed the yard on I-65 on the way home.  There was a bunch of autoracks heading north.  US-31 parallels the L&I for about 80% of the trip.  When I got to Seymour I found a crew working on the tracks in the center of the town, a couple hundred yards north of the diamond and the CSX tracks.  That probably contributed to the lack of activity.   I made the trip between about 2-4PM. Had a radio with me and never hear anything along the way.  The radio was just a hand held sitting in the seat beside me.   I don't normally chase the LIRC but though I'd give it a try today just to see what was going on.  If you are looking for activities around Jeffersonville, LIRC does a bunch of switching in the area but predicting activity is pretty rough.  The LIRC has a bridge that crosses the Ohio River at the dam/falls.  Access is easy along the river.  If you go to New Albany you can watch NS between the Youngstown Yard in Louisville and Duncan Tunnel,  You can watch them crossing the river between states.

Not much help, am I?  If you search the eastern discussions you might find some info.  There have been a couple of inquiries in the last month.

John

Date: 09/03/15 06:59
Author: dbrcnw

If your travel to or from Louisville on I-71 consider getting off the interestate at Lagrange, KY and observe the CSXT street running right through the center of town. Then continue north across the Ohio River at Madison, IN and observe the rails, currently not active, of the steepest mainline grade in the US. Even without trains, it is impressive to see the former PRR line. I think there is still rail service at the top of the hill but others more familiar with the area can provide that information.

From the Madison area there is a good state highway which will go west towards US 31/I-65 as mentioned by John.

DaleR

Date: 09/03/15 08:08
Author: Fireman424

When down that way if you are in the area on a Monday or a Friday you could always check the Lucas Oil railroad in Corydon, IN I have had good luck with them on these days first thing around 0800. The L&I runs an afternoon transfer across the river to Louisville I caught them com ing back across toward Indiana between 2-4pm from the Falls of Ohio park. Check in the afternoon there is normally a Paducah & Louisville coal train leaving Kosmosdale south of Louisville from the power plant between 3 and 6 in the afternoon 4ish is a better bet. Southern Indiana railroad runs in the morning and switches the Essroc facility in Spped IN this line is really down on traffic right now bt still has the CAT rebuild S_2's.
Hope this helps good luck,
Randy Allard

Date: 09/03/15 08:38
Author: Ohiorailfan

Thank you!

Date: 09/03/15 10:15
Author: retcsxcfm

There is a lot to see on both sides of the Ohio in that area.
Try Google for more info.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds