Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > New CSX SD70MAC Numbers...

Date: 03/07/03 21:25
New CSX SD70MAC Numbers...
Author: BCM

I have just received word from a good guy at EMD that the 75 new CSX SD70MACs (to be delivered fourth quarter of this year and which will not have flared radiators) will be numbered in the 4700 series... (reportedly 4701-4775)

- BCM

Date: 03/07/03 23:01
Re: New CSX SD70MAC Numbers...
Author: alexandercasset

heard same from p.o\'ed mechanic who would rather straight 70M\'s as per UP. Apparent shortage of heavy power for B&A might have caused this, as per the unreliability of the AC60/47\'s. Greg

Date: 03/08/03 09:41
Flares
Author: craigdouglas

BCM,

I\'m going to have to disagree with you. A contact at EMD saw the drawings of the CSX SD70MACs last week and the do have flares. Actually, the SD70M and SD70MAC will now share the same long hood, something they have not done in the past.

Craig

Date: 03/08/03 11:38
Re: Flares

Okay, I\'ll triple check on that...

- BCM

Date: 03/08/03 11:46

craigdouglas wrote:
> Actually, the SD70M and SD70MAC will now share the same
> long hood, something they have not done in the past.
>
> Craig

Craig, how is that possible when one needs room (and doors) for AC inverters and the other does not?

- BCM

Date: 03/08/03 12:06
Author: [null]

BCM wrote:

> craigdouglas wrote:
> > Actually, the SD70M and SD70MAC will now share the same
> > long hood, something they have not done in the past.
> >
> > Craig
>
> Craig, how is that possible when one needs room (and doors)
> for AC inverters and the other does not?
>
> - BCM

Economics and technological advances?

1) Use the larger long hood for both because maintaining two different designs costs more money
(presumably than the money lost on using the bigger/more expensive part)

OR

2) A better design or smaller components eliminates the need for the larger long hood.

It\'s obvious when you think about it. Why would GM or Ford have 20 different engines, alternators, radiators, etc. for 20 different cars? Use the same parts in as many cars as possible.

Date: 03/08/03 12:54
Author: mttrainman

How about cab design? Will they have the new cabs or old?

MT

Date: 03/08/03 20:02
Re: New CSX SD70MAC Numbers...
Author: cnwjag

alexandercasset wrote:

> heard same from p.o\'ed mechanic who would rather straight
> 70M\'s as per UP.

>
AC or no AC, shop forces I\'ve talked to at Cumberland are just happy that the newest order of units aren\'t another batch of the dreaded GE\'s! As an engineer and a railfan....I have to agree.

--jag

Date: 03/08/03 20:30
Re: Cabs

My source at EMD, who had "the plans" on his desk a few weeks ago (and sat in on the design meetings prior to that), said (two weeks ago) that the units were externally the same as the last CSX SD70MACs - including nose and radiator section...

I just sent him an e-mail so that on Monday he can go find the latest plans and triple check the details...

- BCM

Date: 03/09/03 11:46
Re: Cabs
Author: mttrainman

Thanks BCM, that would be great! Any chance if you could ask him if cab signals will be included? Thanks again.

MT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds