Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Willing To Sell Clearwater & Brooksville Subs - Florida

Date: 10/05/15 07:39
CSX Willing To Sell Clearwater & Brooksville Subs - Florida
Author: Narr8rdanny

Local Commuter Rail Task Force Says They Want to Buy CSX Clearwater & Brooksville Subs. 

From Tampa Bay Times: 

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/masstransit/csxs-offer-finally-opens-the-door-to-commuter-rail-in-tampa-bay/2248337 

DH 
Tampa

Date: 10/05/15 10:35
Re: CSX Willing To Sell Clearwater & Brooksville Subs - Florida
Author: billroland

Interesting if not surprising.  I would think there would be major dollars to be spent upgrading the rail and signalizing these routes in addition to paying CSX up front for the RoW. 

Date: 10/05/15 10:46
Author: erie833

That area has been needing mass transit ever since I first started going down there in 1976. Hard to count busses as they sit in the same traffic mess the cars do. Only drawback is St Pete/Clearwater to Tampa requires a long (mileage wise) run around the north side of Tampa Bay. A rail bridge similar to the I-275 route over the bay is what's needed too, but that would skyrocket the cost of building the system. I can say this, the trains will be packed even if the running times are a bit longer. Development between Tampa and Zephrhills is going nuts, so the Brooksville sub purchase makes good sense too. RAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 10:47 by erie833.

Date: 10/05/15 11:53
Author: Lackawanna484

erie833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>(snip).
> Development between Tampa and Zephrhills is going
> nuts, so the Brooksville sub purchase makes good
> sense too. RAD

That might be a good first step for the build-out.

I mentioned on the other thread that there's not much seniority among the House reps for the Orlando-Lakeland-Tampa corridor.  Having high seniority sponsors is definitely a big plus

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds