Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Great Timing

Date: 11/19/15 23:12
Great Timing
Author: pennsy3750

Once a week or so, when I leave work at midnight I'll make the short drive out to Worcester to shoot trains.  I left work too late to go to Worcester last night, but on a whim, I took one of the scenic routes home. Heading down Depot Street in Milford, Massachusetts, I looked to the left expecting to see darkness and empty track. Surprise! Headlights.

I found the B735 crew just finishing up a pickup at Veralia (formerly Saint-Gobain) on National Street. Since I had all the gear in the trunk, I turned around, hi-tailed it the half-mile back to the crossing, and deployed two Speedlights. While they were shoving back to run around their two cars, I shot the power passing what I think of as the Reading Anthracite building, a long-time bucket list shot for me.

The building houses an oil dealer, which presumably once sold coal as well; I can't imagine how else an advertisement for Reading anthracite would end up in Massachusetts.  They still have a siding, though it hasn't been used in decades, and I'm not even certain that its still connected to live rail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/15 23:14 by pennsy3750.

Date: 11/19/15 23:20
Re: Great Timing
Author: robbie

Absolutely beautiful!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/15 01:04
Author: Mgoldman

Sa-weet!  Thought for sure that was up my way with the Reading sign - looks too new
to be a surviving sign - wonder if anyone has the answer?  Maybe your next day time
mission!

/Mitch

Date: 11/20/15 03:23
Author: dschlegel

Great shot!
I've seen (and actually had in my possession for a while) some of those Reading Anthracite signs. They were stamped metal coated with a baked enamel. The one I had was from an oil/coal dealer in Kutztown, PA and it looked brand new, even though it was probably 50 years old when I had it in the late 80's.
Unfortunately for me the father of the owner of the dealer told his son that he shouldn't have given that sign to me, and asked for it back. I returned it, and have no idea where it ended up.
In hindsight I should've said "too bad" and kept the thing.
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/15 04:14
Author: JPB

Excellent photo! Glad to see there is still freight business in Milford. Rumor has it that one day this could all be Grafton & Upton's.

Date: 11/20/15 04:46
Author: Benched_it

Fantastic shot, very nice!

Jay

Date: 11/20/15 04:49
Author: Lakota-rail

Agree, very nice photo...congratulations.

Date: 11/20/15 08:39
Author: bluesboyst

Cool, I did not even know CSX still went all the way to Milford.....

Date: 11/20/15 13:15
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE.....!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0999 seconds