Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Morgantown W. Va.

Date: 11/23/15 10:20
Morgantown W. Va.
Author: jerrybob

I will be in Morgantown W. Va for the next couple of days before thanksgiving. Never been there before is there anything to see and how much traffic. Thanks for any help. Have a great thanksgiving TO. friends.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/23/15 12:48
Re: Morgantown W. Va.
Author: chuchubob

Probably not what you have in mind, but the people mover is worth a look.
file photos from Sept 22, 2014

Date: 11/23/15 13:22
Author: bridgeportsub

The NS/CSX track is on the other side of the river at Westover. NS uses the track to go to the Marion County mine near Grantown,WV. Theyalso run a local down there maybe a couple of times per week,but at night. CSX uses the track to run from Grafton,WV to Newell,Pa. They run maybe 2 to 3 trains in 24 hours. No set pattern on times. NS does the dispatching on the line.

GRS

Date: 11/23/15 14:08
Author: toledopatch

In case Bridgeport's summary didn't make this clear, Morgantown (while not totally dry) is a backwater when it comes to rail activity. Most of the traffic is coal and it wasn't high-volume even when times were good in the coalfields. If you want to see significant mainline-type activity, your closest options are Cumberland to the east or the south side of Pittsburgh (McKeesport, etc.). Brownsville/West Brownsville or Waynesburg, Pa., are relatively busy (compared to Morgantown) options if you want to chase coal trains and/or shoot them in the street trackage at West Brownsville.

Date: 11/23/15 19:21
Author: tq-07fan

Last time I was there was in October 15 2010. My dad and I were checking out what was left of the Monongahalia Maidsville Yard and ended up catching a southbound NS (empty) coal train. Not much traffic through Morganstown but you could go a little over a half hour south and take a look at Clarkburg, Bridgeport and Grafton and all the stuff related to the B & O mainline going toward St Louis. Not a hotbed of activity there either but definetly worth a look and it's so close.

Jim

Date: 11/24/15 04:09
Author: DJ-12

Good suggestions so far. I would suggest Waynesburg, Pa and environs about 30 minutes north of Morgantown as the closest point with the most activity. You can follow the Manor Branch from there up to the Bailey Mine complex. Also worth a look while on the way to Waynesburg is the Cumberland Mine RR. The best shot on the line is right next to the Kirby exit off of I79. Obviously, be aware that mine activity and corresponding rail traffic will likely be very reduced Thurs/Friday.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds