Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > I need to learn to keep my mouth shut...

Date: 11/24/15 17:42
I need to learn to keep my mouth shut...
Author: Benched_it

I copied and pasted word for word what I said below on
a non train board and now I'm curious to see how far off
base I was? This was said based on my experiences
only when trackside and I'm curious to see if freights
really do have priority over Amtrak like everyone said? Thanks!

"Amtrak has the right of way over freight trains 99% of the time. From what I
understand it's Amtrak first, then either the juice train or intermodals, unit trains
(grain, oil, etc) then the manifest train (my favorite) in that order as far as priority.
I'm beside the tracks a lot with scanner in hand and all too often the freights have
to take to a siding and wait sometimes an hour or more for Amtrak to pass before
resuming their trip. I will say that since CSX is experimenting with super long trains
these days in excess of two miles long, there may not be sidings long enough for
them thus the reason Amtrak might have to wait..."

Jay

Date: 11/24/15 17:45
Re: I need to learn to keep my mouth shut...
Author: HB90MACH

Looks right to me. Matches my experience track side as well. Also my understanding is Amtrak has priority.

Date: 11/24/15 17:49
Author: steve_misky

Having priority, doesn't mean you won't ever encounter a freight train in your way, moving (usually) trying to get out of Amtrak's way.
Ironically, I have seen Amtrak get in Amtrak's way more often than freight in central fl. 91/92 and 97/98 get in each other's way a lot on the mostly single track.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/24/15 18:40
Author: SOU3921

Here's PO90 just getting moving after enjoying the scenry at North Selma NC yesterday as Q439 cleared up out of the single track (note Q439 in the distance).

From my vantage point CSX stabs Amtrak periodically, especially on the A-line.  NS not so much at all, especially with AutoRouter at full blast here in NC.

The aforementioned Q439 with a Tier4 leading at Sharpsburg, NC.

Earlier in the morning, Q400 northbound with CSX4848 at Micro, NC.

Cooper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/15 18:40 by SOU3921.

Date: 11/24/15 21:19
Author: ln844south

Not unusual for ATK 11 to get delayed around Klamath Falls if the UPS intermodal is close. Seems this Northward UPS is the hottest train on this part of the Cascade Line!!. Also heading in more often for the "No fitters" the UP now runs that want clear in a siding.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/15 21:22 by ln844south.

Date: 11/25/15 04:40
Author: Benched_it

So I was a little off, but not that much? Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it!

Great shots SOU3921, I used to shoot down at Micro a lot, I really like that place!

Jay

Date: 11/25/15 12:02
Author: callum_out

Jay, you're pretty much right and the DS does try to give Amtrak priority but in Western regions
where sidings are further apart you might see Amtrak stopped on the main to meet a freight.

Out

Date: 11/25/15 15:17
Author: Out_Of_Service

is anyone/everyone who replied to the OP's message employed in T&E service for the railroad ??? ... just curious ...

Date: 11/25/15 15:48
Author: ln844south

To answer "Out of Service's" question. My response is after 30 years in Engine service and now living by the UP's  former SP Cascade sub at Chiloquin, OR VP-459.3.
Volunter as a Docent for the Klamath COunty Museum on 14/11 and since once railroading gets in your blood, I monitor the radio in my "Train" room.

Steve Panzik
Retired Locomotive Engineer  L&N/CSXT Pensacola, FL
Chiloquin, OR

Date: 11/25/15 18:12
Author: dlh

My experience is this - if the Amtrak train is already running late all bets are off. I can remember being put in the siding for a coal train when we were running 5 hours late. The old saying "late trains just keep getting later" usually rings true in my experience.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds